• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Octopus Care Q's.... a lot of mines nvr been answered

octopus101

Hatchling
Registered
hi everybody,
i am very new to this forum... in fact i just signed up :smile: i have seen a lot of posts by various users but the more i learn about them...the more i'm scratching my head saying wuuuuttt? :confused: I wanna buy a bimac for they are easy to care for plus the fact that they r very common. anyways.... i have a list of q's down below. btw... i do have a sorta tight budget so i rlly don't wanna buy anything expensive.

1) what is salinity? how do u test it?

2) what is a good filter and NOT EXPENSIVE?

3) how can u tell if the water has been fully cycled or matured?

4) what is the pH lvl have to be?

5) Can i use distilled water that says that it has been processed using reverse osmosis,advanced filtration,ozone,and distillation technologies. if i can't use distilled water then wat kind of water is best for them? tap water w/ water conditioner perhaps?

6) how do u prevent octo's from escaping? what do u use?

7) how do u get rid of nitrate and if u buy a new tank then there should b no copper right?

8)what's a protein skimmer?

Octopus101,
Cephs are not the best choice for a first time marine aquarist. You should expect a minimum of a full year to learn about keeping a marine tank before considering this choice. Your questions are best answered in a new aquarist forum and I would suggest finding a beginner's book before you commit to an aquarium. Do note that keeping a marine tank is not inexpensive.

I will give you short answers to your questions but there is a lot of understanding that needs to come along with these answers that are beyond the forum's intent.

1) Salinity is the quantity of salt in the water. There are two devices we commonly use to get a close approximation. One is a hydrometer. It does not measure salt but shows the density of the water. If your saltwater is made up of RO/DI (or distilled) water and salt made for an aquarium it will give you a very close approximation to the amount of salt in the water based upon density (specific gravity). A second device, refractometer, is accepted as being more accurate but still only measures density and must be calibrated using a set of known saline solutions.

2) Filtration is biological, chemical and mechanical. For biological filtrations, most aquarist use live rock, chemical is usually carbon and mechanical, some form of filtering media and a protein skimmer. In my case, I use a sump (additional tank) and combine the chemical with the mechanical by putting carbon in a filter sock but there are a number of solutions used to achieve this. The tank talk forum has some discussions.

3) You will need to read up on and understand the ammonia->nitrite->nitrate conversion that is an on-going process of the biological filtration mentioned above. Initially, the tank will go through an cycling process but that needs to be extended once the zero ammonia and zero nitrite stage completes. A minimum of 3 months with continually increasing bioload is recommended.

4) Recommended PH for a marine tank is 8.3 - 8.4

5) Distilled water is fine, conditioned tap water is not. Most of us use RO/DI (reverse osmosis/deionized) water. This can be purchased from an aquarium store or made from tap water with an appropriate home unit.

6) An octopus tank needs an escape proof top that is not sensative to salt water. Most of us make our own. See the tank talk forums for ideas.

7) Nitrate is controlled with water changes. You will have to establish a water changing routine (weekly or every two weeks) that includes vacuuming the substrate. You will remove old water and replace it with new saltwater. You will also need to keep fresh water on hand to top off evaporation. You are correct, a new tank will not have been exposed to copper medication.

8) A protein skimmer injects air into the water forming bubbles that float protein to the surface. The skimmer is designed to push the bubbles and the protein they carry into a collection cup, removing it from the water. In the case of cephalopods, it also traps ink and reduces any harmful effects (a water change is also recommended when inking occurs).

Wow.... can't believe how calmly and patiently you replied to this poster...... I am VERY impressed. Which brings me to my question: how does one "Like" a post? I see several posts that have been "Liked" by members but I can't find a way to "Like" something! And I'd like to! :smile:
Sue

tonmolike.png

That's strange, I did sign up as a Supporter over a year ago and thought I told it to keep automatically re-subscribing me as soon as my year was up, but I guess it didn't.

So I just went and "Supported" but I still don't see no stinkin' "Like" button. How am I supposed to be supportive and positive and upbeat without a "Like" button?

Let me "Like" something now, will ya???!?!?!?! :mad: LOL
Sue

:roflmao: Patience my dear supporter. I think Tony has to manually recognize you as a supporter and deliver your new privileges (note your name is still blue, suipporters are green and honchos are red (we have no giggle smiley, might have to make one). I'll PM the head honcho to be sure he notices :wink:

DWhatley;189431 said:
:roflmao: Patience my dear supporter. I think Tony has to manually recognize you as a supporter and deliver your new privileges (note your name is still blue, suipporters are green and honchos are red (we have no giggle smiley, might have to make one). I'll PM the head honcho to be sure he notices :wink:

Hah! Patience????? I had hoped that this hobby would teach me some patience but even after more than 4 years I don't think I've made an ounce of progress in that department. Yes, I see that I'm still blue. You bet I'm blue!

OK, OK, I will be strong..... I will be patient..... I will survive! (Enter Gloria Gaynor song here).

But, but, but..... my octo isn't going to be here until Saturday - that's more than 3 days from now! Maybe I should listen to all the people who shake their heads at me and ask "Can't you just take up knitting or crocheting like normal people!?!?!??!" :wink:

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back