• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Octopus briareus Water Temp?

Mizu

Vampyroteuthis
Registered
I have it in my head that its 70-75 Far. But Octopus briareus is a tropical dude. So shouldn't it be near 80?
anyone have luck either way?

I have had most luck with 78 but sometimes it goes into 80 but not often. I would say 80 is ok but 75 is to. Before I got my octopus I decided I was going to look up the ocean temp. and it came from 84 in the summer to 68
in the winter. So briareus can be pretty forgivign when it comes to temp.
My first octopus I kept in 75 F water wile my new octopus is in 78 f

-Tom

Seventy-eight is a good temperature to aim for. Some people say 78-80 degrees, but I don't think I'd go any warmer than that.

Nancy

150 gal is big enough for that right?
right?
how much gal do i need for an octo that size
i thought sure 150 is big enough for him.

yes nancy I can raise it i have a heater :smile: just never needed it with Megas and Zim because they were cold water dudes

That's more than large enough for a briareus! You could get by with a 75 or a 90 gallon tank.

Let's compare: the sizes listed in Cephalopods: A World Guide are these
briareus body 5" arms up to 24"
bimac body 5" arms up to 14"

I guess one thing we have to remember with these octo sizes is that an individual may or may not reach maximum size. My bimac was a big one, arms maybe 22 inches - and some do grow large, but others don't. The adult briareus that I've seen have long legs, but the body doen't appear to be as large as that of many bimacs. They are beautiful octos.

Nancy

Nancy said:
That's more than large enough for a briareus! You could get by with a 75 or a 90 gallon tank.

Let's compare: the sizes listed in Cephalopods: A World Guide are these
briareus body 5" arms up to 24"
bimac body 5" arms up to 14"

I guess one thing we have to remember with these octo sizes is that an individual may or may not reach maximum size. My bimac was a big one, arms maybe 22 inches - and some do grow large, but others don't. The adult briareus that I've seen have long legs, but the body doen't appear to be as large as that of many bimacs. They are beautiful octos.

Nancy

Ok, thanks. That sounds like a good size.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back