Octopus briareus from TomsCaribbean :)

Octopus briareus from TomsCaribbean :smile:
day1:
Came in at 3:00 he is very small , i still don't know if it is a male or female really good looking with his blue eyes , i need help on what to feed him ,he is still shy i put him in a breeder net until his tank is set up i got some pic's but when he will start moving around i will get more:

Attachments

• conv_303678.jpg
    conv_303678.jpg
    761 KB · Views: 78
  • conv_303679.jpg
    conv_303679.jpg
    647.8 KB · Views: 57
  • conv_303680.jpg
    conv_303680.jpg
    726.7 KB · Views: 82

Nancy

Titanites
Staff member
Congratulations on your new octopus! Let me know what it's name is and I'll add that to the List of Our Octopuses.

Does your octo really have blue eyes? I don't remember my briareus having blue eyes.

Nancy

Nancy;141218 said:
Congratulations on your new octopus! Let me know what it's name is and I'll add that to the List of Our Octopuses.

Does your octo really have blue eyes? I don't remember my briareus having blue eyes.

Nancy

Thank You Nancy ...
I named him Blue , because of his blue eyes , you can see it more in the 2nd pic and i will get more pic's of him closer so everybody see it...he is changing colors but mostly white now.

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
Interesting about the blue eyes. What part of the eye looks blue and what kind of lights do you have on the tank? Briareus has a wonderful green florescent display (which shows with a flashlight at night in the wild and is often how they are located) that looks like a field of glowing dots and I am wondering if your lighting makes it appear blue (they can change the iris - looks like an eyelid - color as well as their skin) but I know Animial_Mother's dwarf reflected a blue color one time (and one time only) during acclimation.

In the briareus white appears to be good color and seems to mean they are relaxed. SueNami uses his other colors (peach and brown) only when he is disturbed. This is not the case with all species but with the two nocturnals from the Caribbean (mercatoris and briareus) I have observed this to be true (and not the case with the diurnal hummelincki).

dwhatley;141246 said:
Interesting about the blue eyes. What part of the eye looks blue and what kind of lights do you have on the tank? Briareus has a wonderful green florescent display (which shows with a flashlight at night in the wild and is often how they are located) that looks like a field of glowing dots and I am wondering if your lighting makes it appear blue (they can change the iris - looks like an eyelid - color as well as their skin) but I know Animial_Mother's dwarf reflected a blue color one time (and one time only) during acclimation.

In the briareus white appears to be good color and seems to mean they are relaxed. SueNami uses his other colors (peach and brown) only when he is disturbed. This is not the case with all species but with the two nocturnals from the Caribbean (mercatoris and briareus) I have observed this to be true (and not the case with the diurnal hummelincki).

ok its ether the eyes or around the eyes that is blue , it is really nice but he is still hiding in the breeder net so i cant tell for sure when he will come out i will get more pic's...
i have the coralife 28w lights which has nothing to do with the blue color around his eyes, because you can see the color even with out lights.also he has that wonderful green florescent you wrote about and I've never seen something like that it is really beautiful ,

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
I don't know how often I say, "what a beautiful animal" when I look at SueNami. There is something extra special about the look of the briareus that only partially translates in pictures.