• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Octopus bite

• Thread starter Deleted member 14033
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 14033

This is going tonsound kind of stupid but i am curious what a young bimac bite would feel like. In have one with a mantle length of maybe an
1-1/4 inches i am not sure, that is just a guess.
Anyone have any idea on how bad a bite from that size would hurt?

I understand it could be a bit like a bee or wasp sting. Great thread on this topic, here:

I’ve copied this description below from my post in 2007. My husband was bitten by my bimac while he was cleaning the tank. There is a photo of this bite in the book Collin and I wrote, Cephalopods: Octopus and Cuttlefishes for the Home Aquarium, by Colin Dunlop and Nancy King. Here is the description of the bite:

Species of octopus: Bimac (Ollie)
Age of octopus: 6 months
Size of mantle: 3 inches
Type of bite: nibble
How did it occur? During tank cleaning, came down on top of hand, bite lasted about a second and then she tried again
Reaction: little red marks, didn't hurt much, like a little prick
Comments about the bite and your reaction: was a "gentle bite", didn't hurt long, mark gone by the next day

Nancy

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back