• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Octopus Availability

Hi, I am wandering if anyone know where i could get hold of a captive bread bimac baby on behalf of Sparsholt college in the UK. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Bobby

Hey guys! I did so well with the octopi I was getting from the live rock company I work at. I have decided to start buying them from a local guy and I should have them all year around. They are O.mercatoris. I live only twenty minutes away from mote marine and I plan to attend the Tonmo Convention thats coming up! I can take orders and bring them to the convention. Also I can ship them all over the country with DHL over night shipping for a 50% discount. Write me a pm if you are interested or you can e-mail me at [email protected].
Thanks!!!
Dan

I think that is great, but surely a part of the proceeds should go to the website here? Just a thought...

Brock,
That is what I told him (and explained it would be better if they were) but he has seen the eggs in prior years - they are seasonal in the Keys - and is convinced they are joubini.

How is your little guy doing? Is the bimac any more social? I finally got to SEE my Briareus (I think) out once and make a mad (no ink) dash once but I still don't know what he is eating for sure.

lucky goldfish in san jose Ca has a very nice aculeatus. And get this they are selling him for only 40.00 dollars. I feel ripped off becuase i bought mine for 65 dollars a few months ago. I talked with the guy at the store and he said they will hopefully be getting them often. They are a wholesale to the public store so that is probobaly why they are cheap. If anyone is interested the phone number is 408-436-1464. Let me know if someone picks him up if hes still there in 2 weeks i might have to take him.

bimacs

i still have about 50 bimacs. they are 5 months old. i just presented my senior project ( raising these octos) to the school as the semester is ending next week. i'm still eager to find good homes for them. it is amazing to watch 15 bmacs interact in an aquarium particularly at feeding time. i thought there were only 5or 6 in this one tank but when i went to turn on the room lights last nite i counted 15 prowling around on the glass. i'll be interested to see if i can captive breed them as they come to the end of their life-in another year. but 50 is a bit too many too handle. zyan

Zyan,
You mentioned that you were using older technology with this project. What temperature are your tanks and how are you keeping the temperature constant (or is Oregon ALWAYS cold ;>)

So I have been thinking about it and I guess I will still sell bimacs to people as long as you pick it up. Meaning if you live in the southern California area, you should definetley contact me if you are interested but shipping to anywhere is out of the question.

I can get bimacs easily this time of year so if your local just pm me please because I would be happy to sell one to you.

D, the temp fluctuates between 54 and 68 deg. but slowly. i have 500 gallon sophisticated system in my garage for raising the bimacs.it has monster euro-reef skimmer, and chiller. only need to run chiller in the warm summer here. it never gets hot and the garage is naturally cool. i had 125 babies . 25 died over the first 2 mo. haven't lost any since. they were separated by 1-2 wk of age until they were 4 mo. old. now the are in groups of 10-15 per 100 or so gallons . not escape proof but none have been inclined to leave. there is ample food and hiding places . i have several tanks at room temp indoors and at school i maintain a few too. some have old school technology with UG and cannister filters. all seem happy. obviously in the wild there would be a 99% mortality, and i definitely have had some runts . the size varies thru a continuum, in fact i had 2 that never appreciably grew in 4.5 mo until they succumbed. now however even though there is a little roughhousing between siblings( isnt that normal-remember when....) i dont see any serious aggression. i just hope there are a few folks out there who would like to have a memorable pet so i can enjoy the 3 or 4 that i envisioned being capable of raising ( not 100!) i'm happy to ship anywhere. zy

Zyan,
Like others, we want one in the worst way but octos and adominalis won't work and that is the only tank I have I keep at 68. Neal keeps looking at chillers on eBay ;>). I have a fish tank (my only tank that has more or less normal fish) in a well cycled 45 with 10 gallon sump/fuge whos inhabitence can be relocated to a 30 that is equally cycled and the 45 is easily suited to make an almost holeless lid but my fans won't keep it cool enough (especially enclosed). I am recycling (mini cycle I hope - so far so good) a 15 gallon hex that was infested with brissle worms and we are going to install a water cooler in-tank chiller to eliminate the fans for it (hopefully to become a cuttle tank) but the chiller would be doing well to hit 68 on the cool end. We keep looking for a way to get a diural critter as these 4:00 AM visitations with a lot of no shows are frustrating ;>).

Can you tell the males from the females at all? It looks so easy in the photos but, until JoeJoe died, I really never go a good look at his tentacles.

Please let the forum know if you opt to send all your extras to the pet shops. In the meantime, we will keep looking for a way to cool the 45.

Thanks for the posts.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back