• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Octopus Availability

Unfortunately for the pet trade, it is not legal to sell live bimacs in the state of CA. However, with a fishing license, you can catch them and take them home (as dinner or pets) and several members have tide pooled their own. Walking the beach at low tide may help you find someone who is well versed in locating them or can find and give (not sell) you one they find.

Here is a link I recommend as a starting point when you are thinking about getting an octopus. The, Box of Chocolates link under species will give you some ideas about where animals are acquired and their different personalities.

Hello,

I had a few cearribiean octopi over the years that had over a year of fun and live shrimp.
I just obtained a brown octopus from a local shop.
He is quite small.
I am wondering how I can identify him.
Any ideas how large he will get?

Thanks,
Orlando

You can start by trying to get and posting as many photos as can that show the different looks and colors the animal portrays. Try to capture a good feel for the mantle to arm ratio, color at the tip of the suckers, any perpetual markings (like eye spots or specific patterns in the skin).

Also see if your LFS will tell you where they acquired it. Most notably, was it imported (the most likely case if it was purchased from a local wholesaler) or locally caught.

I am looking to purchase a young Cephalopod to be my first encounter with one in my personal tanks. I live in New York and they are few and far between up here. I have kept many other types of fish/eels/inverts over the past 5 or so years and would love to add a small ceph. to my collection, does anyone have any young ones for sale, or a lead on when they, or someone else, may have one. Thank you all for your time.

I am looking to purchase a young Cephalopod to be my first encounter with one in my personal tanks. I live in New York and they are few and far between up here. I have kept many other types of fish/eels/inverts over the past 5 or so years and would love to add a small ceph. to my collection, does anyone have any young ones for sale, or a lead on when they, or someone else, may have one. Thank you all for your time.
Caribbean Blue in Islip had two Abdopus aculeatus now they have one after I purchased mine.

Caribbean Blue in Islip had two Abdopus aculeatus now they have one after I purchased mine.
Thanks for the reply, I was able to get an algae octopus about a month ago now. Hope shipping goes well. Post pictures once you get it!

Attachments

• 20181027_115416.jpg
    20181027_115416.jpg
    668.4 KB · Views: 87
What is the legal situation on bimac trade? It seems to change quite frequently...

If it's possible to sell/buy one, would you think it's possible or recommend trying to get one to Europe? Do they ship well, or should they be left where they come from?

Thanks for your answers,
Benjie

It’s more complicated for you in Europe. However, I learned that bimacs were sold to European research labs and edcational institutions, as they are here. The problem is, they aren’t sold to individuals as pets.
O. bimaculoides is a very hardy species and travels well - the problem is getting one.
Have you ever tried Italy for octopus availability? O vulgaris lives in Italian waters, and surely some smaller species.
Then there’s always a vacation to California that you spend looking for a young octopus in tide pools!

Nancy

thanks for the information ... i might think of becoming an "educational instituion". (i happen to be a teacher.)

Having experienced travelling the States as non-US citizien, I think the conversation with the customs officer would be quite entertaining. "Yessir, that's an octopus. Yes, an octopus. No, it's not dangerous. I, err, found it on the beach, and I kinda thought..."

Having experienced travelling the States as non-US citizien, I think the conversation with the customs officer would be quite entertaining. "Yessir, that's an octopus. Yes, an octopus. No, it's not dangerous. I, err, found it on the beach, and I kinda thought..."
:lol:

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back