• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Octopus Availability

kpage - Could you please post a pic when you get yours? I am interested to see how consistent (species-wise) their supply is.

Also - I am also confirming Gulf Specimen Marine Lab as a supplier to TONMO researchers who meet the $70 minimum.

*here's another link for O.Vulgaris, Briareus, and Joubini - CaribbeanCreatures.com is for sale | HugeDomains (I am trying to assess it's validity via email)

Good Luck fellow TONMO researchers !

sk252005: Which site? The last I talked to Caribbean Creatures (also via phone 2006 ish), he had moved to NC, would not guarantee shipment and any availabilty was iffy. His site has not changed since 2006 (likely 2003), including the missing photos etc. If you think you want to order from him, be sure to get a little information about how he is going to obtain your octopus and if he guarantees live delivery.

Cramer's Caribbean Critters, on the other hand, is an active on going concern with a valid FL collectors license.

Darn, I was looking for one, but then just ordered from Live Aquaria. Would they ship? I'm sure someone here would want one..

you know i really dont know about shipping......they are really big in reptiles and ship those and supply alot of east coast....of course octos are alot different...i guess if anyone is truley interested ill try to find out or i can supply you with the contact info..he is probaly half the size of edward and has been there two weeks taking frozen

I wonder if they will start having them here as well. That was the first place we checked (maybe a year ago now) when the thought of "rescuing" a food octo crossed our minds (we also looked for live octopus offered as a restaurant menu item but, fortunately, did not find anyone here serving them).

They are not commercially available to the public(as far as anyone on Tonmo knows), although I think there is a place that raises them to sell to educational institutions, but ONLY to educational institutions. You might be able to get a teacher or college bio professor to order one for you.

I've kept two bimacs, both of which I caught myself in southern California. If you know someone who can catch one (with a fishing license) and is willing to give it to you (it's illegal to sell or trade them), that's probably the only way you could get one.

If it weren't for the fact that I only wanted an octopus if I could catch it myself, I would have bought a Hummelincki. They're reportedly at least as good for pets as a bimac, but a little smaller, and no chiller required - Perfect!

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back