• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Octopus Availability

shipposhack;120482 said:
Octos at saltwaterfish.com are only $30 right now. They also reduced their minimum order size from $80 to $30, so you don't have to buy anything extra either. Great deal if you are ready for an octo.

I am irate! They did this 24 hours after I got my octo...for the full 60! :banghead:

corw314;120519 said:
Well....since the one place, saltwaterEarth.com that owed me a replacement vulgaris has not responded to any emails, I just ordered one from saltwaterfish.com. Good price. Cheaper than pick up out in PA.

This was not the source I meant though. There is a collector selling them (I am kind of big on getting octos, as well as other sw critters, direct when I can) that may be a better choice (I have not ordered from her yet) if saltwaterfish.com does not work out.

Hi I would like to post that i have octos for sale, can you tell me how to do this, I have posted it once and cant find it or figure out how i did it, I dont want to put it in wrong place and them delete it. Sorry I dont have alot of experience on this site but very interested, Its the carribean and atlantic 2 spot and my email is [email protected], thanks

cthomason352;121308 said:
Hi I would like to post that i have octos for sale, can you tell me how to do this, I have posted it once and cant find it or figure out how i did it, I dont want to put it in wrong place and them delete it. Sorry I dont have alot of experience on this site but very interested, Its the carribean and atlantic 2 spot and my email is [email protected], thanks

I believe you posted it in the "Marketplace" forum. This is the right place though. :smile:

Animal Mother;121309 said:
I believe you posted it in the "Marketplace" forum. This is the right place though. :smile:

actually, the one here is a copy I made from a more obscure thread, but I didn't edit it to make that clear...

Cephalopods in Europe?

Hey everyone!

I've been lurking Tonmo for some time already and I wonder if anyone knows if there is a way for us european people (I'm in germany to be exact) to get their hands on an octo.

I have been wanting to do this for years now so I was saving money for a saltwater tank for the sole purpose on purchasing an Octopus.

Since I'm about to give up my freshwater tank I though this to be a good time to ask you folks.

the problem however seems to be the zero availability of cephalopods in Europe :hmm:

Since these creatures are also native to our waters and the UK I thought that there might be a chance.

This is the last straw for me I fear.

Looks like my favorite mantis shrimp supplier is planning to start offering cephs in the near future. Stomatopod suppliers typically suffer from the same affliction as ceph suppliers... inability or unwillingness to identify and photograph individuals offered for sale. Not these guys... they identify, sex, and describe each individual mantis shrimp and are looking to approach cephs with the same degree of responsibility. Hopefully they will get things up soon... maybe even find their way to TONMO. Worth keeping an eye on.
Stomatopod.com is for sale | HugeDomains

gholland;122606 said:
Looks like my favorite mantis shrimp supplier is planning to start offering cephs in the near future. Stomatopod suppliers typically suffer from the same affliction as ceph suppliers... inability or unwillingness to identify and photograph individuals offered for sale. Not these guys... they identify, sex, and describe each individual mantis shrimp and are looking to approach cephs with the same degree of responsibility. Hopefully they will get things up soon... maybe even find their way to TONMO. Worth keeping an eye on.
Stomatopod.com is for sale | HugeDomains

Wow. I look at that site occasionally as I have been tempted to keep a mantis (yeah I know, I said they're evil) and I've been impressed with how much they put into their service. I wonder what specific kinds of cephs they're going to offer. I hope their detail carries over into the cephs.

I've been emailing back and forth with Billy and it sounds like they are going to be treating their cephs the exact same way they do stomatopods... IDs, individual pics, size, reporting of missing appendages, etc. In the past, they have even been good about describing behavior of individual stomatopods when I've asked (active vs. secretive, etc.).

They plan to have a little bit of everything -- octos and cuttles. They aren't planning to sell anything that isn't ID'd first, and won't be selling blue-rings, mimics, or wonderpus. At least not to the public -- they have been working with research needs some. They are focused on diurnal species and actually plan to house a number of different species for themselves to better understand and communicate the needs of different species to their customers... sounds quite admirable really (not to mention expensive!). :bonk: Probably part of the reason they just moved into their new facility.

They have 30+ cephs slated for arrival on Monday, so we shall see.

To reply to the two posts further below, looking for octopuses in Germany and the UK - yes, it's possible to find one from time to time, and cuttlefish too.

It's probably easier in the UK, and we have had a few people keeping cephs there. Colin lives in Scotland and has kept cuttlefish (2 species) and several species of octopus.

Will try to find more information for you.

Thanks for visiting the site!

Nancy

Hey Nancy!

Thank you in advance already :notworth:

I have been speaking with some veteran saltwater tank keepers through some different forums and it turns out that a few of them have some trusted importers that every now and then seem to carry cephs at rare occasions.

I managed to find one online-shop that had a single cuttlefish for sale (it was a s. officinalis) which a. was sold out since weeks, and b. was priced at roughly 150$ (shipping not included :bugout:)

But since octopus keepers in germany still are almost non existant, it's like looking for a needle in a haystack, so every bit of information is greatefully recieved :smile:

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back