• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Octopus Availability

Besides, $45 + ~ $50-60 for shipping is nothing. Over my octopus' lifespan I've spent twice that in crabs. When my cuttlefish were young I was spending nearly that much for food every two weeks. This hobby is not cheap, and if you can't manage a hundred bucks for the octopus I doubt you can afford everything you need to give it a good home.

Dan

Having raised and bred S. bandensis, I know that $40 is not even breaking even... I would be willing to pay more for a captive bred animal, that way I would know it's origin and age. DHyslop is also correct about spending more on food than on the original animal. Keeping a cephalopod is an on-going expense.

shipposhack;101949 said:
bluezombie- I think you mentioned that already; You need to wait 3 months from the set up date to ensure your octo's home is a good one.

The LFS I work at got a tank raised bimac in for $80. We paid $45.

For sure i won't rush. I'll probably just have to wait for the next batch.

All of the babies probably won't get sold. I think Zyan had about 20 left from his batch (not sure how many he started with), some of which I think laid eggs already. Marinebio_guy might sell all his, but there still should be some other tank raised ones ready throughout the year.

Marinebio_guy: How often are your bimacs available? I will be looking for a bimac in the relative future, but not in only a week or so. Do you sell them regularly?

marinebio_guy;102246 said:
Availability is sporadic. There is a chance I might be moving in a month in which case it would be a while before I could get things back up and running.

Good to know. So when will the next batch of youngins be ready to sell? I will be able to take one afterall. :smile:

Also, at what age/size to you sell them?

Thanks. :smile:

Richard of Tampa Bay Saltwater (TBS), sent me this to post:

I got 3 gulf dwarfs yesterday diving, spread out a little larger than a silver dollar.....am shipping them via us mail right to the door, octo is $40 shipping is $30

Nancy

P.S. These would most likely be O. mercatoris.
N.

I teach science at a private school. We have a couple of reef and saltwater aquarium for teaching purposes. I have a cycling saltwater aquarium that is about ready for livestock. I looking for a bimac. Does anyone have one?

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back