• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Octopus as a 'spirit animal'

David Wolf

Hatchling
Registered
I've recently become interested in documentaries and YouTube vids about the octopus and, alas, have sworn off octopus sushi and calamari. I'm also inspired to commission having a realistic tattoo of the Pacific red octopus(?) peering over my shoulder with its legs spread from my neck to my waist (back and front) and down each arm.
Now it gets squirrely, for many people, I know, but this is California's Emerald Triangle! Hippies, hot tubs, Tai Chi and tree huggers. Although my born name is Wolf, and I admire many of of their attributes, I don't take the wolf as my spirit animal. My spirit animal is the hummingbird, which teaches me to be alert and fearless (never mess w/ a hummer's nest), graceful and swift, bright and flashy yet keeping its true nature reserved (hummers are actually drab brown birds (no color at all) with minutely prismed feathers), intelligent, friendly once they get to know you (will land on offered finger and buzz around your head for fun) and fiercly territorial.
In fact, much like an octopus.
So, I'm going to talk with some of the divers around here who harvest urchins, seaweed or abalone about the possibly of capturing a local critter. And, if it's positive, building a suitable environment for it to live in, hopefully to the benefit of all.
From what I have seen the Pacific red gets pretty large, but release and replace could work (although I wouldn't want to break its heart, I'm pretty endearing).
Well, nice to meet you all and thanks for the resources. Any feedback would be appreciated and, fear not, I'm an able engineer and responsible animal keeper as well as a retread hippy.

alas, have sworn off octopus sushi and calamari.
Welcome to the club! I haven't (knowingly :rolleyes:) eaten a ceph or its parts since 2005. Seems to be a bit of a culinary resurgence going on, but they'll have to go on without you or me. :smile:
And, if it's positive, building a suitable environment for it to live in, hopefully to the benefit of all.
Cool! Be sure to cycle your tank for a long time (months), especially if this is your first!
Well, nice to meet you all and thanks for the resources.
Welcome to TONMO and thanks for joining!

Welcome to the club! I haven't (knowingly :rolleyes:) eaten a ceph or its parts since 2005. Seems to be a bit of a culinary resurgence going on, but they'll have to go on without you or me. :smile:

In one sense this seems hypocritical of me being as they have no problem eating each other, even during copulation. I saw a video on Youtube of two captives, it was very sweet with tender caresses and caution.

In one sense this seems hypocritical of me being as they have no problem eating each other
LOL, I never thought of it that way! I will say, at TONMOCON VII, I discussed eating cephs with some fishery experts (and actual squid fishers), and I softened a bit to the idea of eating squid, so long as the source was confirmed. Because of certain regulations, there was a presentation on the crazy reality of squid being fished from the East Coast of the US, shipped to China, and then sold BACK to the US for distribution in food markets / grocery stores. :bonk:

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back