• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Octopus.. and heater

Fishfreak218

GPO
Registered
Ok,
well im looking ino getting a octopus and was wondering.. is it ok to have a heater in the main tank or will the octopus try to hide dehind it and/or play with it and burn itself...also..i was looking into briarius (thats wats most common in florida [i think] )...does anyone have any general info on them... i googled them and got alot about rearing the babies... thanks in advance
-Josh

Sorry for the lack of replys - (you could probably get more if you seperate out the questions.)

As for a heater....
I have always used a sump. I would think that they could get burned though, because they do get very hot, very fast. Maybe if it was partitioned off behind a buffer zone with fine screen it would be safe.

I have only had bimacs...
best I could say is google search and search this site for briarius. I know I have read alot about them here from people that have had them as to nocturnal and temperment, but don't remember much. Some are for sale on ebay right now.

Good Luck!

briareus to me seem more hardy than Bimacs, dont need a chiller, and change color more but thats just my opinion. The care is pretty much the same check out the Articles

O. briareus is a good octopus to keep in a home aquarium. Although nocturnal, this species can shift to being active more during the day. Many are friendly and interact.

O. briareus lives in the Caribbean in tropical waters and requires a tank around 78 degrees, so they may require a heater.

This species has a relatively small body and long longs - body up to 5 inches, arms as long as 24 inches. It would be comfortable in a tank of at least 50-75 gallons. O. briareus has webbing between its arms that enables it to enclose coral or rocks - then it uses its arm tips to flush our small prey. In addition to the webbing, distinguishing characteristics are its bulging eyes and a blue-green irridescent sheen.

This species produces large eggs which hatch into small, bottom dwelling octopuses which can be raised.

Nancy

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back