• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Octopus and blue mandarin goby?

debbie

Blue Ring
Registered
Just curious would an octopus eat a mandarin gobie? I know the gobies have an odor to them and they are poisonous. And if the octopus ate the goby what would happen to the octopus? I know every animal is different just trying to get some feedback. Thanks

Most likely outcome would be "yes", the mandarin goby would be easy prey. Nothing would happen, your octopus would have a meal and you'd have one less sea creature. I have never heard of mandarin goby's being poisonous, totally new one on me.

I have successfully kept a variety of calmer, more peaceful fish with a small Abdopus sp. female.

I kept a variety of small community fish with O. hummelincki; firefish, watchman goby, and a clownfish but the percula clown disappeared eventually.

The hardest part is actually selecting an octopus species. Since you will most likely find or receive one of a random variety of commonly imported species it's best to assume you won't get one that will be peaceful in disposition to other tank inhabitants. If you do dare add fish, don't use damsels or wrasse or any aggressive species. You will regret it.

My recommendation is always, "NO FISH". IMO, Octopuses just don't live long enough to chance making them overly shy or having them get infections from being picked on. That being said, there is no shaming on this forum and we encourage everyone to honestly journal their tanks and the outcomes of experiments because without journaling, everything is opinion without backing.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back