[Featured]: Octoproofing glass tanks

tonmo

Cthulhu
Staff member
Webmaster
ugh, sorry for the troubles -- you definitely have your hands full here. Thanks for sharing your experiences here; the insights are valuable. I don't know much about this at all, but try a search for treating infections... Hopefully some experts can help, e.g., would tetracycline/oxytetracycline help, iodine?

pkilian

Wonderpus
Staff member
This is really rough, I'm sorry your animals aren't doing well :frown: It seems like transport was really rough for them and I would guess that (plus the rotting mussels) is the reason they are dying so quickly. Do you have any live food like crabs or shrimp you can stick feed them? How many octopuses do you have left?Are you able to get any more when transport conditions are a bit better?

I don't think antibiotics or any treatments are the right way to go in this case, it will likely stress the animal more than it would help I think.

qiazopus

Blue Ring
Registered
Provided an update in another thread but just to repeat here: 2nd batch (and the last batch) of octopus is successful and well!

DSC02182.JPG

@pkilian you've mentioned using bead organisers to keep the hatchlings. I bought some and drilled 4mm holes on the sides, and glued 200um mesh net over the holes (see Pic A) . Is this sufficient to keep the hatchlings alive? I'm a little worried about any large excrements building up in each compartment. I kept some crabs in that box and 2 out of 5 didn't do well the next day (they seem to have lost their righting ability), I see some particles in each compartment and so I changed the water afterwards. So I'm concerned whether the hatchlings will be affected - I'll be keeping them for 2 days only to keep track of age.

But I'll be keeping hatchlings in the acrylic box instead (see Pic B) which can sink by itself. Also because there are still gaps that hatchlings can crawl across the compartments despite trying to glue rubber hose on the dividers. The question above of glueing mesh over the holes in the box remains the same though.

Also, anyone has any budget ideas for sinking these kinds of compartment boxes (Pic A)?

Pic A:
IMG_3352.jpg

Pic B:
IMG_3353.jpg

Sorry admin @tonmo, looks like the topic has deviated from the title a little, more like octoproofing boxes for hatchlings!

tonmo

Cthulhu
Staff member
Webmaster
Sorry admin @tonmo, looks like the topic has deviated from the title a little, more like octoproofing boxes for hatchlings!
it's natural and it's no problem! We can always split this off into a new thread if deemed necessary :thumbsup:

pkilian

Wonderpus
Staff member
The hatchling box looks great as long as they cant escape from the holes you drilled. Mesh seems like a good idea to me. You will have to clean each compartment every day when you feed. I feed baby octos pieces of cut up shrimp. I would avoid feeding them anything alive because they could hurt your babies. Feeding them dead things does mean you have to be more diligent with cleaning their enclosures every day- it can be time consuming, especially with a lot of babies.

If you are only planning to keep the hatchlings for 2 days, you probably don't need to feed them at all.

It's good to hear this batch is going better!

Latest Posts