• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Octoproof corals- comparison

KD5054

Wonderpus
Registered
Just curious what others have had luck with or tried with their octopus.

So far I'm keeping one in a tank with some Dragon Breath (macro algae), a toadstool, a hairy mushroom that is a nice size, and trying to coax a finger leather to grow to a larger size.

So far all have been really forgiving when they are explored by the octopus. I think the mushroom fairs the best. While the toadstool has so far been left alone.

Zoas can go either way. If you want to try them restrict them to a removable rock. When you add an octo, observe the interaction. If the octo touches the polyps and quickly withdraws its arm(s), remove it from the tank. It there is no reaction and the octo often clambers on the polyps then it is likely fine. I have one cluster that I have propagated to three tanks as it is the only one I am comfortable with and I don't know how or where to besure I get the same thing again.

Good idea BUT there are two issues. One, it is illegal to harvest it if it is growing on the seafloor so only flotsam can be collected. Two, it is darn near impossible to keep alive for long in a tank, made even more difficult by #1.

Good idea BUT there are two issues. One, it is illegal to harvest it if it is growing on the seafloor so only flotsam can be collected. Two, it is darn near impossible to keep alive for long in a tank, made even more difficult by #1.
Ah. Okay so that's why you don't see it often.
So now I'm confused on what is the sea weed looking stuff that does go through the trade?
Also what about macro- algae: I am having a lot of success with Dragon Breath. I have a magazine the has a few other kinds. Are there regulations with them?
For example- Botryocladia uvaria looked interesting.

Most, if not all of what you see is some form of macroalgae. Here are some common examples (and yes, I do recommend this site as an aquarium source). One of the things KP Aquatics does not sell is caulerpa, a macro that often takes over a tank, can cause an ammonia/nitrite spike if not carefully tended and most aquarists regret trying it. I've never tried it as gardening is not my best aspect.

Most, if not all of what you see is some form of macroalgae. Here are some common examples (and yes, I do recommend this site as an aquarium source). One of the things KP Aquatics does not sell is caulerpa, a macro that often takes over a tank, can cause an ammonia/nitrite spike if not carefully tended and most aquarists regret trying it. I've never tried it as gardening is not my best aspect.
This helps greatly! Thank you so much

I have a bunch of GSP (Green Star Polyps) in my tank. New octo this week so not sure what the reaction will be. It's a very mild soft coral with no sting that I am aware of so I think it will be fine.

I have just started some green star polyps in a non-octo tank and have noticed that they are VERY sensitive to being touched. I suspect the octo will be fine with them but I am not sure how well the corals will do with the octo interaction.

I had a reef tank for ~10 years before I decided to change to octo. GSP is almost like nuisance coral or a weed once it gets going. It is all I have in my tank right now (long story). Last night I saw my octo glide across the GSP on the back wall and even stop on it.

Attachments

• IMG_20190118_151643.jpg
    IMG_20190118_151643.jpg
    4.7 MB · Views: 89
It will be interesting to see how the green poly star reacts. I put it and some xenia in my otherwise empty tank in hopes that it would cover most of the rock-work, then I will add a fish and maybe a couple of inverts.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back