[Octopodcast]: Episode 4, Interview with Kat Bolstad (Tintenfisch)

tonmo

Cthulhu
Staff member
Site Owner
I'm pleased to announce Episode 4 of the Octopodcast. This month we interview New Zealand's Kat Bolstad about her work with cephalopods, with a small dose of Neil sprinkled in, much to her chagrin. :biggrin2:

[URL2=[URL]http://www.tonmo.com/octopodcast/]Visit[/URL] our Octopodcast page to download and listen now![/URL2]

Once again I want to offer great thanks to Kat for her time on this, and for her involvement with TONMO.com. Thanks T!

Episode 4: March 2006 -- 7.2 megs. 30 minutes, 52 seconds.
An interview with New Zealand's Kat Bolstad (tintenfisch on TONMO.com) about her work with cephalopods.

Episode 3: February 2006 -- 10 megs. 27 minutes, 59 seconds.

Episode 2: January 2006 -- 10 megs. 28 minutes, 41 seconds.

Episode 1 (Pilot Episode): December 2005 -- 7 megs. 19 minutes, 34

So it appears Kat compresses better than previous interviews-- I haven't listened to it yet, but I expect it's not because she's got a lower signal-to-noise ratio :wink:

Saw this posted up, grabbed a cold one, and sat down for a listen...fantastic ! Kat is one great lady, and the interview was superb...

greg

monty said:
So it appears Kat compresses better than previous interviews-- I haven't listened to it yet, but I expect it's not because she's got a lower signal-to-noise ratio :wink:

Much more noise, much less signal. :wink:

So much for limiting the 'um's on my end. Ah well. :roll:

Yes, I prefer to be considered mildly acerbic. What was this business about nidamental glands in male squid? Can any details be accessed now, or must one wait?

I was inspired by your comments on pronunciation in this broadcast to suggest: could you make a section for sound bites of how to properly pronounce all these scientific names? And put sound bites (and maybe phoenetic spellings) of, e.g. mesonchyteuthis, architeuthis, belemite, vampyroteuthis, ciac, cranchid, ... and other words common around here in writing but not so much in everyday speech?

Cool idea. We may wind up with friendly debates over 'kephalopod' vs 'sephalopod'... :wink:

I think the paper on the males with nidamentals will be published in the conference proceedings; at least, that's where I assume the authors (Hoving, Lipinski, Roeleveld, Durholtz & Melo) will be submitting.

As for the words above... I would say:

Mesonchyteuthis (Mee-ZON-ee-ko-TOO-thiss)
Architeuthis (AR-ki-too-thiss)
Vampyroteuthis (Vam-PIE-ro-too-thiss)
Belemnite (BELL-em-night... right, fossilophiles?)
CIAC ('kayak')
Cranchiid (cran-CHEE-id)
Neil Diamond (ANN-tee-squid)

Tintenfisch said:
Cool idea. We may wind up with friendly debates over 'kephalopod' vs 'sephalopod'... :wink:

I think the paper on the males with nidamentals will be published in the conference proceedings; at least, that's where I assume the authors (Hoving, Lipinski, Roeleveld, Durholtz & Melo) will be submitting.

CIAC ('kayak')
Cranchiid (cran-CHEE-id)

Thanks.

Actually, maybe it would be a good idea to come up with a glossary as well as pronunciation guide for TONMO... since I've frequently had to look up words I see around here. Of course, some of the words I've needed to look up probably wouldn't make the TONMO glossary-- "tonsurophobia" comes to mind.

Monty.... great ideas. A glossary is on my long-standing list of things I'd like to add to TONMO.com.... the sound bytes and phonetic spellings are a great idea.

Tintenfisch said:

CIAC ('kayak')
Cranchiid (cran-CHEE-id)

RO-CKHO-PEAR? Sound about right, Kat?

Looking forward to hearing it.
Cheers!

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back