Octopets.com is the worst online retailer around.

Nancy

Titanites
Staff member
Mizu, I hate to disappoint you, but I've been tracking this for several years and the longest anyone has kept a bimac after receiving it is between 10 and 11 months. This includes wild caught and those from Octopets, includes bimacs kept at low and higher temperatures, bimacs fed only live food or not, and all the variations you might imagine.

If you add 2 -3 months for the time the bimac was alive before being shipped, the lifespan would be 12-14 months. The 1 1/2 year lifespan is supposed to come from a bimac kept somewhere in a lab - have never been able to track it down. The actual normal lifespan in captivity must be less.

So enjoy your bimac while you can - we all wish they could live longer.

Nancy

Rona

O. bimaculoides
Registered
lLet me inform some of you a bit, if may? Raising bimacs is very tricky! Even in the best of situations. I did it in a public aquarium environment, with the H2O being monitored and changed consistently and optimum feeding conditions. I STILL lost some. A few decided to venture beyond the confines of the enclosure and wound up on the floor, a couple got trapped in the filter lines, some resorted to cannibalism.. etc. Hey, these are wild animals! I feel fortunate that after starting with hundreds of eggs and hatchlings, I was able to release 8 healthy ocots to sea at adulthood. That is a pretty good ratio......Cheers! :bluering:

PurpleTentacle

GPO
Registered
cthulhu77 said:
What VL said is a complete insult...from "worst" to "jerk".

Well, if he's the only one in the business, he's sort of the "worst" by definition, even if he is the best. Charles Dickens would surely agree...

I doubt he's a jerk though. :smile: