• Welcome to TONMO, a community of cephalopod experts, hobbyists and enthusiasts. Established in 2000, we are the founders of TONMOCON, and birthplace of World Octopus Day and Cephalopod Awareness Days. ...You can register here, and Introduce Yourself. To rid yourself of ads and enjoy other perks, become a Supporter for just $25/year. (Now accepting bitcoin & other crypto!) ...Follow us on Twitter and YouTube for more cephy goodness.
  • Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

OctoNewbe

OctoNewb

Hatchling
Registered
I have been wanting to get an octopus for a while now, and I have not taken the dive into octopus territory yet. I have been keeping salt water tanks for a little over a year now, and have been reading about octopuses for a few months. I have a 29g tank that is currently cycling, and I am deciding if i want to do octopus or reef. What are some of the smaller species of octopuses that could fit in a 29g. I would like to stay away from the dwarf, since they have such a shory life span. Any info on these species will help, and anything else you know, or any suggestions on my setup will be help full. Thanks in advance, -OctoNewbe

monty

TONMO Supporter
Staff member
Registered
:welcome: to TONMO!

unfortunately, 29g is pretty small for anything but a dwarf. We've recently seen O. hummelincki a bit, and they're sort of intermediate-sized, but we haven't really seen enough of them to be sure... someone's keeping one in a 29 now, but it's not clear that it's full grown yet. Also, one of the main reasons for the requirement is water volume, so having a sump for extra would help there a bit, but in general we recommend a 55gal for non-dwarf octos.

OctoNewb

Hatchling
Registered
Where is the best place for me to do research on the dwarfs, and where can I order one that will know the exact age of the one I am ordering. I dont wont to order one, and it be 5 months old and die in a month.

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
Octane (hummelincki, acquired as an adult) is in a 30" long x 24" tall tank it is really not long enough for him. I do 5 gallon weekly water changes and have a protein skimmer, a cannister filter, an overflow filter (primarily for oxygen/CO2 exchange but it does have additional charcoal and a small filter) in a small sump with LR and LR in the primary tank so his water quality has not been a problem but they like to swim as well as explore and there is not enough length to allow him to complete a swim. IMO, 4' long x 2' tall would be a minimum recommended size.