Octoguard - O. Mercatoris

Something interesting is going on here, but I'm not sure what!!:confused: Sounds like you live near a place were you can go choose a live octopus from a fish market?? Really interesting! Will be watching this for sure!! Good luck! :smile:

Thanks D. I will print out your hints and some pics. all which I will binder in plastic folders "YOU WILL GET WET" lol And yes I know I will be working. The guy I am going with I have known for some time and most times he releases them unharmed but some times they just wont let go and well we know what happens to them. There is not much that could upset me but thank you for the heads up. I am going to get a cheap water proof camera to take pics. I think it will be fun and hard work at the same time. I wonder if any of the octos species are found in deeper water compared to others. Like maybe I will find more volgaris in deeper water compared to maybe mercs being in shallow water. I dont know if anyone on hear will know that. but I will keep a log of what is found where and at what depth. I will log everything i can including what they were eating in the trap. This is going to be an adventure

We have a Diving and Ceph Encounters forum just waiting for your log!!! I am so looking forward to the vicarious experience! I mentioned a consideration for your camera on another thread but, just so you don't miss it, look for one in your price range that has image stabalization. It won't cure the boat motion but will help.

We just had an ID request from Bonaire that shows a couple of nice O. vulgaris photos and I found a great video Roger Hanlon made of the different looks of vulgaris and published on YouTube. The post and video are here. The little guy hunting would be a great size to find and you should get a feel for the adult vs the juvenile size in the video. Drsandhu, also posted a photo of what I believe to be O. vulgaris out of the water and may help a bit with how you will see the animal out of its natural habitat.

Hi Sirreal! Wow, I am so jealous! What a great adventure you are going on! I can't wait to find out what you come up with!! Good luck!

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back