Octoguard - O. Mercatoris

If he is that small, you are likely to have him a long time :biggrin2: The one other noted case of using a barnacle with it single opening was also an O. briareus that Carol (CORW314) kept :biggrin2:

Update on octoguard He has found his new home and is happy again. yesterday when I feed Tranny I feed octoguard the same thing. It was funny he took a piece of shrimp that was as big as he was. He didnt eat all of it. This was the first time I offered frozen full size shrimp. The shrimp I used are jumbo. they were left over ones. I need to go get some smaller ones. Octoguard is also eating hermit crabs and a couple snails. I need to the bait shop and get fiddlers. I have to admit I have never feed fiddlers to my octos but it seems that everyone else does. I like feeding the shrimp because there is no waist. I also feed him krill most days. they are the right size. the last couple days he has been sticking his arms out of his barnacle

Update on octoguard. today he is not in his normal barnacle. I say he because from what I have read on this site female tend to stay with the same hiding spot and octoguard has moved several time since I have had him. Today I cant find him. He is probable under the rockwork somewhere. I got 2 crawfish today one good size for Tranny and one small one for octoguard. Octoguards crawfish is moving around the tank but no octoguard. Do mercs get out of there tanks much? I looked around but did not see him. I really dont think he got out but just wondering.

I a a bit concerned that he did not come our for the cray but he may not have been hungry. Ceph (Dr. James Wood, Staff) created a list a few years ago (can't remember if it was posted to TONMO) that showed lab responses to which octos escapted the most. O. mercatoris either headed or was near the top of the list. IME, however, I have never had one come close and I think tank design is the primary difference. Keepers using all in one tanks will often find them in the sump behind the tank and a current member saw one escape to his external sump. One thing that I think makes a big difference with any of the species is to #1 lower the water level (if possible, not feasible in some tanks) and two, attach a lip (or use an acrylic tank with one already provided) around the top of the tank. Lighting dark, inviting areas may also dissuade a fatal adventure and I have placed a small night light over an area that used to be an attached sump when the resident octos have been small. Another way to make an off limits area less attractive is to add something rough like a course sponge. Some public aquariums will line the top of the tank with astro turf but cleaning it would keep me from even experimenting (and it has to be tall enough to keep the whole arm inside)

HMMM ok well he didnt eat his crayfish. It was dead in the tank this morning. No sign of octoguard. I do have the water level down about 3" from the top and I have a good lid on it. there is about a 2" spot in the back that he could get through. I would think I would find him on the floor or at least smell him. I am going to seal the tank up tighter. I hate to move the rockwork around to find him. I hate disturbing him. seems every time I do we start over again with aclimation. I will let it go for a few more days before moving things

I have not seen anything but quick flashes of arms with Onn for over a week and she is larger than OctoGuard. Fortunately, I have seen her arms daily (with a lot of patience and, tonight a flashlight) and the fiddlers don't survive until morning so I know she is OK and eating.

With the crayfish, don't leave them in for more than a couple of hours. The saltwater will kill them by this time (likely sooner) and there is little chance it will be eaten by the octopus (but it will add pollution to the tank). Monty (unknown Caribbean slightly larger than a merc) was initially afraid of one I gave him and was very funny to watch as he carefully took a long route to approach it on his second encounter attempt (he successfully made it his supper). I have never fed a crawfish to a merc but all of mine have had no problem hunting and eating fiddlers.

Update on octoguard. I found some flesh on the pickup of the filter so I tore the rock up to see if he was dead. NOPE not dead but very pi## o## because I disturbed him. He inked 3 times. Just little bits. I did do a water change for the inking. At least I got some more pics of him. I had not had a chance to look at them so I will post them and maybe we can tell male or female.

Attachments

• conv_300862.jpg
    conv_300862.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 118
  • conv_300863.jpg
    conv_300863.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 105
  • conv_300865.jpg
    conv_300865.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 128
  • conv_300866.jpg
    conv_300866.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 128
Am glad he's still alive!! I know how that goes! I used duct tape to seal my tank up! LOL!! I keep a roll on top so I can replace it easily if it gets wet, etc... Those are nice pics! I just put some up of DaVinci. Boy it's hard to get good ones LOL!

Well, I WAS going to say to wait a week ... :roll: but I would likely do the same if I found an unexpected white piece of flesh. The one thing about using live fiddlers is that you can usually find the outer shell or see them still running around. I did take a white light to Onn's tank last night because she won't come out for food. We end up dropping in a fiddler that disappears by morning but I worry about that being her only diet and that she is not getting enough nutrition at this age. Older animals worry me less and she is almost old enough not to have a lot of concern but ... I DID use a white light to intentionally aggravate her just enough to show an active arm.

Update on octoguard. He/she was out on the glass when I came in sat morning. Of course I start taking pics and the flash makes octoguard mad and he swims off but it was nice to see him out.

Attachments

• conv_300882.jpg
    conv_300882.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 100
  • conv_300883.jpg
    conv_300883.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 110
  • conv_300884.jpg
    conv_300884.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 79
Well this morning was exciting. Octoguard was out when we got in. He was on the glass just like sat. so I didnt take pics and he stayed out for about 10 min. then he walked around the top for a couple min. then went down slowly to the bottom and went into the rocks. I wouldnt let anyone to close to the tank to spook him. It was really nice to see him relaxed and not trying to get away.

You might try to start offering food just before you go to bed, around 11:00 or early morning (which ever is more convenient). A shore shrimp impaled (had to do) on a stick is usually readily accepted. If you can be consistent, he may come out at that time on a regular basis (I have had mixed results with them coming out but all have accepted food this way. Usually the males are way more active and will come for the food where the females expect to be waited on in their dens :roll:).

Ok I will try that. I have been feeding at noon trying to get them both out around that time. Its not working but I try lol, I seem to end up giving it to them in there dens. If i dont the hermits get the food. I do have a lot of hermits. All redlegs It is funny to see Tranny knock the hermits off her food, They are all small but not afraid of Tranny. This morning when octoguard was going around the top He would stop at snails and then go around them. I wish I could have video taped it. Maybe tomorrow

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back