• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

octo tank ??

genzod66

Hatchling
Registered
i am very interested in an octo tank,i already have 4 reef tanks,of various sizes and themes,sps,softies ,ect,i can get a great deal on an aquapod 12 gallon,if i octo proof it and get red lights,and skimmer,would i be able to have an o.mercatoris,small octo,i know people say 20,but could this work?

I have kept a pair in a 15 gallon with plenty of live rock, skelter skimmer/filter and 5 gallon per week water changes. They do swim about some and I would be concerned about bumping the sides with a 12 gallon, especially a cube (mine is hex shaped). Octo-proofing for a merc is much simpler than for a larger ceph. Lowering the water level and a 2" lip around the top seems to be quite effective (most nanos don't accomodate either of these easily, though. A 15 gallon acrylic would, IMO, be a better choice). A red light is a must if you ever hope to see them. I use an outdoor florescent with a red, high heat, vellum filter. Two of mine were quite active in this tank but the current resident (last grandchild of my first octo) will only display arms at feeding time.

Here is a photo of my two favorite mercs in the 15 gallon that may help you get a prospective on sizing.

thanx for the advice,wouldnt a 12 nano have a bigger footprint,i have thought about the hex,kinda like the nano ,cause its all in one,with a secure top,im gonna velcro tape on tight,seem ok,for one merc?

The swim space is no different for one than for a dozen (not that you can keep a dozen in a small tank!). They need swimming room where they don't bump into something when they jet. They are not big swimmers but do jet across the tank when they are juveniles. The all-in-one is not as great as it would seem and lowering the water line (not easily done if you have a built in sump) is very effective with the Mercs (NOT others, even other dwarfs). If your nano has a grill for water to go to the sump, you will need to screen it AND it will determine the water line AND limit the already poor filtering qualities of the design. Additionally, they might carry waste for softies but I have the worst time with our 30 gallon nano (the newer models are supposed to be better) and things like cycno that I just don't have with my other tanks, ranging from 2 gallons to 140 gallons. Possibly most importantly, the enclosed sump nano style does not easily allow for oxygenation of the water (even with only polyps and a small shrimp I run a large air stone and alternte the return to create more surface aggitation) since there is no overflow type filter or skimmer in the typical set up (Nancy has found a skimmer that does work with a nano but is not keeping a ceph in her new acquisition). Lastly you will need a red light if you want to see your octopus. You should be able to filter the hood light with velum but the heat will need special consideration. Nanos are cute and can be extemely attractive but are really not well designed for critters that move about and have high waste.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back