• Welcome to TONMO, a community of cephalopod experts, hobbyists and enthusiasts. Established in 2000, we are the founders of TONMOCON, and birthplace of World Octopus Day and Cephalopod Awareness Days. ...You can register here, and Introduce Yourself. To rid yourself of ads and enjoy other perks, become a Supporter for just $50/year. (Now accepting bitcoin & other crytpo!) ...Follow us on Twitter and YouTube for more cephy goodness.
  • Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

octo proofing new tank

kate120

Hatchling
Registered
Hello. First time on forum. In the planning stage need suggestions on making tank secure. So far the plan is a 55gal. w/ L.R.&L.S. for bio., the biggest wet/dry I can get my hands on cheaply (probably 20-30gal.) and in-sump skimmer for mech.. I will need to use a pre-filter as my tank has no built-in overflow. My main concern is securing the pre-filter overflow. Next concern is the lid. I figure a versa-top would work best but they still leave an inch or so of open space in back. Need suggestions on how to best deal with that. I want it to look as streamline as possible.

monty

TONMO Supporter
Staff member
Registered
:welcome: to TONMO. You might want to consider drilling, since that makes it much easier to escape-proof. I don't know about versa-tops, but an inch in the back would be a serious problem even for large octos... a lot of people use either a lot of duct tape, or screw-down latches (often plastic screws to avoid metal-related problems.) If you're interested in drilling, DHyslop wrote up some good instructions a while back... there are a number of people's reports on octo-proofing strategies around.