Octo proof overflow/U Tube

Nancy

Titanites
Staff member
I've used the little mesh bags for organic veggies - cleaned them very well, and then cut strips. Was as good as anything.

Some people have used cable ties for fastening, other rubber bands.

Nancy

Krogey thats what I used :lol: But I just call it screen.

It clogged to easily in my system. Used a weaving mat from a craft store, with great results 8)

Oh and by the way yes we have a lot of bugs in florida

johnism

Blue Ring
Registered
What about adding a lid to the overflow box where the slots match( of course drilling a hole in the lid so the suction tube can enter the box) - then the box would work as designed ( the same could be done with a pvc cap on a uplift tube of a drill tank).
Image include of my thoughts

Good idea, as I crossed this thought too in my preperation, but I had to concerns going this route.

1. was not convinced the octo could not fit in groves. Bimacs are small when young, and anything their beak can get through so can they. If they made past groves, still have same problem with tube.

2 in my tank that lid had to be flat. Looks like you have it raised. It would hit the top of my tank.

It may work, and I wish you luck!!

If you choose to do this, please let us know how it worked!

I tried this as well and it has negative effects.

1. the lowert the box the more flow you can get out of your pump, hence more circulation.

2. no matter how high, It still left me with 1/2' gap!

It make work that way on other tank designs, but not mine. Maybe BOe's idea will work for you though :biggrin2:

johnism

Blue Ring
Registered
ok here is the overflow I had built into my tank .
Now when the Bio is a baby I will lay needle point backing over top of the egg crate ( and remove it when he/she has gotten larger).
Now again this is all in theory (I need to build my stand still , cycle my tank for at least four months ).
But I thought I would post it for future ideas for people - I think it should work pretty good.
PS. my over flow is based on this design ( just done internal )
http://www.nautilusreef.com/html/hibo.html
- so it has 0 teeth.
Here are the pics