• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Octo keeping...again

Octane would flash colors while we were eating but not for food (he was fed before supper). His human interaction time was after dinner every night. My son faced his tank and would tell me he was flashing but when I would turn around and look at him, he would stop. This happened at least once a week. Go figure.

Well, today otocon won't eat. Ha came out to the glass when the lights came on but wouldn't eat his fiddler crab. Should they eat every day?

I was wondering if this would happen but I just have not kept enough octos to suggest it. If my thinking has any merit, my guess would be that Otocon has been overeating (and sampling everything) because he has been stressed and unsure where his next meal would come from (this might be because of his prior environment - suggestive of the take the food and run behavior or because he has been displaced). He may be adjusting now and slow down to a more normal pace with normal food. Since Octane was so much older, quantity is hard to call but he would eat regularly 6 out of 7 days and then fast for a day. If you got your crabs in today, I would just leave one in the tank and not offer food until it is eaten (but DO continue to sit near the tank), it dies or two days pass.

Shea;125024 said:
LOL! He didn't EAT it. Just covered it and gave it a taste. But that's not saying Serendipity will do that. Otocon is just a pig that has to sample anything that moves :smile:! Oh yeah, no harm done to the featherduster it's doing great.

I just took a look at oto, he's eaten another hermit. That's 7 out of 15 in about 4 days! Maybe I should name him porky :wink:

Pokrypus?

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back