Octo keeping...again

Shea

Cuttlefish
Registered
Hello again everyone. As some of you know my first O. Hummelincki died a about a week ago:sad:. I am trying to get another opinion on wether or not I should give it another go. My water parameters are as follows:
Ammonia- 0
Nitrite- 0
Nitrate- 10-20
PH- 8.2
S.G.- 1.023
Temp.- 78
Copper- 0
My friend at the LFS has a baby Hummelincki in, and said that he would replace Ocho (deceased octo). I'm just curious if my water quality is up to par for a Hummelincki and if you guys think it wise to give it another go.

Chef Reef

O. vulgaris
Registered
i would say it is fine. right now my water is worse then that and mine is doing fine. although i'm not saying leave it like that. just do a few water changes. I just haven't had a chance to do it in about a month...

daddysquoc

Wonderpus
Registered
its probably not even ur fault, u rparameters arer fine. although octos prefer a 1.026 SG, i dont think thats the cause. every LFS ive been to kept their octos at 1.023-1.024

Shea

Cuttlefish
Registered
I am currently drip acclimating my new Hummelincki. He/she is curled along the side of the bucket, normal acclimation behavior? How long should I drip the little guy for?

corw314

Colossal Squid
Staff member
Drip for a good hour. Watch you keep him covered. I had one escape within seconds of my taking my eyes off the container.

Shea

Cuttlefish
Registered
He has been in the tank about 30 minutes and is now covering my clam (assuming he is eating it) Watch out Hermits and snails :smile:! The lights will be off for the next 24 hours, but when they come on should I just use the actinic blue? Or can I use my 10,000k daylight bulb too, or is that much light gonna cause stress? They are power compacts.

Congratulations!

Your lights should be fine. If for some reason your octo doesn't like them, just use one or the other. Let us know how it goes.

Shea

Cuttlefish
Registered
I believe he is a male so his name is now otocon or otto for short . He is spending alot of time in his den. He will come out when I drop a fiddler crab in the tank but then pulls it back in. He seems very shy, considering my last one would spend alot of time in the open and cruising the glass. Which behavior is more normal? Both are Hummelincki.

Latest Posts