Octo in need of RESCUING

It looks like an aculeatus to me, or at least a near relative - if mucktopus or Dr. Roy see this post, we can get an expert opinion.

Adult arm length for an aculeatus is about 12 inches, and the mantle length is less than 1 1/2 inches. I looked at some other members of the horridus complex, and the longest arms are about 12 inches, so this one shouldn't grow much larger, I would think. It looks happy there in its new home.

Nancy

now i feel really bad for him.... i forgot I have a 55 in storage... but i don't have a place to put it...really... i live in a tiny condo with too much stuff... I guess i will talk to Taollan and see if he is still interested... he is probably nearing his end....

He ate frozen shrimp tonight but I don't know if it is just because he was sleeping but it took a few for him to take it... he just didn't want to wake up... and he is a slow eater... i don't know if it is just because of us being around or what...

He looks a little too big and fat to be Aculeatus. He could just be a plump guy though... there seems to be quite the consensus that it is Aculeatus. Don't feel bad for him, you are doing the best you can, and I'm sure he is happier than he was at the LFS.

oh yeah he is happier than at the LFS... if you can call it that.. they have one coral tank (with montiapora eating nudis) and like 8 20 gal of fish...

oh... i measured his mantle and it is 3 inches and his legs are 12 inches (not streched)

what are the temp and habits of a aculteaus and what size tank would he need... all i can find is that they can walk on 2 legs....

what would be any other type of octo that he could be... vulgaris? do they change texture like him...

SandV;108327 said:
oh... i measured his mantle and it is 3 inches and his legs are 12 inches (not streched)

what are the temp and habits of a aculteaus and what size tank would he need... all i can find is that they can walk on 2 legs....

what would be any other type of octo that he could be... vulgaris? do they change texture like him...

Sounds like it's going to be too large to be an aculeatus, but on the chance it is, typical reef temperatures should be fine, mid to high 70's. According to a picture Dr. Caldwell has in the gallery, aculeatus would be fine in a tank as small as 20 gallons, but we know we all prefer they have a larger tank. I assume they are diurnal... notice all the videos are shot in daylight. I wouldn't think an instinctually nocturnal creature would require having such diverse camoflauge for activity in darkness.

I do believe vulgaris are quite capable of texture/color changes. If filosus was synonymous with vulgaris that should hold true, because filosus/hummellincki are quite capable of a variety of appearances. That's just my guess though, I have no data from any of the professionals to back that up.

shipposhack;108343 said:
Vulgaris is from the Atlantic/Caribbean.

There are also vulgaris in the Mediterranean, although there's some debate as to whether they're the same species. In fact, Norman lists several things called Octopus vulgaris and suggest they're all different species, although I know not everyone is always in agreement with Norman on such matters.

I think it is a very large A. aculeatus. Norman reports them having ML up to 6cm (about 2.5 inches) and arm length of about 30 cm (a little less than 12 inches). O. fulosus has eye spots. O. vulgaris, just from looking at those pictures, has stouter, more robust arms. The to affirming or rejecting A. aculeatus likely will be looking at the #1 arm pair (front/dorsal most) and seeing if they are the shortest. This recent thread had a good picture of it:
Unidentified Octopus with egg clutch

i don't know where he came from... not a clue... he is sleeping but i will wake him and feed him and see about the 1st arms being shorter... they suckers are smaller but i don't know about shorter....

well he must be tropical... he doesn't like his water cool (70) ... he just wants to sleep... he doesn't want to eat his dinner and he doesn't want me bothering his slumber... so i am warming him up

oh... his front legs MIGHT be a little shorter than the rest but definately not much...

oh i just looked at that pic again.. no.. not like that

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back