Octo in need of RESCUING

SandV;108164 said:
OK that is a great idea on the box... I know what you are talking about I will try to find one.... but actually then i cant pack him with O2 which would be better???

I am not sure how far walla walla is.... but if it falls threw i will let you know...

Maybe do the bag with O2 and put that in the box? Then the box will protect the bag from punctures, but you get the benefits of the oxygen?

Just a thought...

Best would be trippled bagged 50% water 50% o2 closed with rubberbands. Then put that bag in a styro cooler that fits the bag, tape it shut. Put that whole thing in a cardboard box (one that fits it tight) and ship via fed ex. The box the cuttlegirl shipped the eggs in is great for eggs and hatchlings, but for an adult octo, I would much rather have the o2 then the leakproofness. FWIW, millions of fish and inverts and corals are shipped yearly across the world in plastic bags, in styros in cardboard. :biggrin2: Perhaps the LFS could help you out (I assume that is where you get the o2 from) - they may even have some shipping boxes on hand. Also, fed ex or other shipping store may have styros and 'outers' for sale.
Oh - don't forget to add a heat pack. You can get them at sporting good stores, try to get the one that lasts the longest.

I dont think i can send him to canada.....

I have shipped corals before and I have an O2 bottle... bags... and such... and a good cooler... but i had never thought of the plastic box before but I really want the O2... for the octo and for the pH..

O2 IS more important than a plastic container. Octos need a lot of oxygen to survive. Follow Thales advice for shipping; that is the best way. I usually use a Coleman cooler from walmart to ship anything I need to, instead of a styro, but that is because I don't have styros available to me. I still haven't found a box that fits the cooler well. That is my goal though, because a tight fitting box will keep the octo (or whatever) from excessive unnecessary shaking.

You can get insulated shipping boxes from Staples Office Stores. Sometimes you have to order them online and have them shipped to the nearest Staples.

I have to agree with Thales about the shipping method, my guys were little compared to the water volume and they weren't using much oxygen.

DSC_0006.jpg

ok... he is here... i just didn't want him staying at the store... I deffinately don't see any eyespots... i watched him at the store.. he was pacing and now he is in a 40... he was pacing the side glass and now he is just sitting...

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back