• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

OCTO IN A COMMUNITY TANK AND GETTING FATTER

Strange u guys always say octos dont do well in communitys but I have mine in a community aquarium. And hes doing ok! He even takes food from a stick! And today I also aded a small 2 and a half inch flounder. And hes still ok! Could it be that he is taking food cuz' he is like going crazy? Oh yeah I took a pic of my tank check it out! :wink:

tick, tock, tick, tock, tick, tock, tick, tock, tick, tock, tick, tock, tick, tock,tick, tock, tick, tock, tick, tock, tick, tock, tick, tock, tick, tock, tick, tock,tick, tock, tick, tock, tick, tock, tick, tock, tick, tock, tick, tock, tick, tock,tick, tock, tick, tock, tick, tock, tick, tock, tick, tock, tick, tock, tick, tock............................................................

that was my impression of a time bomb :notworth:

There was a zoo that did an exhibit with an octo in a community tank...it did work, for about 5 days...tried to tell them, but to no avail...ah well.

What happened in that tank? The flounder sounds like trouble :? More competition for food. Flounders might and probably would take some of the smaller fish. I might have missed this but how big is the octo?

Well, after a while, the octo was looking rather ragged from being pecked on by damsels, etc...then every morning, there would be something missing or damaged...not a good display tank!!! Eventually, it crashed and had to be restarted... :cry:

We keep ours in community tanks! but you have to be jolly careful what you put in! no anemones or other nasty stingers for eg.

and our tanks have been running for 73 years (the big one on the data base) and 20 odd years for the midget octopus tank!

J

Nancy said:
So what do you put in with the octos, Jean?

Nancy

In the big tank, wrasses called spotties, big sea urchins (up to 30cm test diameter), even bigger starfish (up to 80 cm diameter), crabs (dinner!!) clams & mussels (starfish dinner!) and often some small rock pool fish called triplefins.

In the small tank we have mussel lines (from a farm) glass shrimp, shore crabs (octi dinner) camoflage crabs (to big for the octi), sucker fish, juvenile paua (abalone) and a variety of top snails.

Both tanks usually have some weed in them.

Because we're a public aquarium we like to have something visible on the days the octopus is feeling antisocial. We're small and can't afford to have 1 or 2 tanks with apparently nothing in them!!!

When I get a chance I'll try to get a photo of the little tank.

Cheers

Jean

i suggest this forum either be removed or renamed becasue if someone glances at the title and doesnt read the content they would get the wrong idea.... ya know what i mean?

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back