Octo ID

A local fish store here in san francisco has an octopus and the owner has asked if I could ID it. Its a pretty young specimen. It looks like one ive had before in which I never identified. I know its tough with these pictures, but thought Id ask. Ive never kept a dwarf, so im not terribly familiar with them. Anyone have any ideas? It was pretty much all brown. I didnt see any eye spots at all.

DSC00095.jpg

DSC00096.jpg

DSC00094.jpg

monty

TONMO Supporter
Staff member
Registered
any idea where it was caught?

If I had to guess, I'd say it looks more like digueti than mercatoris, but that might just be because most mercatoris pics I've seen have been more curled up.

Upvote 0

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
I have not seen any young octopuses except my Mercs and the GPO at our aquarium so I don't know if my observations would be true of young of a non-pygmy species but the bulging eyes and skinny legs certainly look like pygmy. The lack of a white start pattern on the mantle when deeply colored and not seeing the white marks around the eyes make me guess that it is NOT a Mercatoris. That little point on the head might a good giveaway but I didn't find anything to help using that idea.

Upvote 0

monty

TONMO Supporter
Staff member
Registered
dwhatley;109369 said:
I have not seen any young octopuses except my Mercs and the GPO at our aquarium so I don't know if my observations would be true of young of a non-pygmy species but the bulging eyes and skinny legs certainly look like pygmy. The lack of a white start pattern on the mantle when deeply colored and not seeing the white marks around the eyes make me guess that it is NOT a Mercatoris. That little point on the head might a good giveaway but I didn't find anything to help using that idea.

One picture of Octopus warringa in Norman shows a little nose-point like that... but I have no idea if that's sometimes present in other species. We don't see a lot of imports from Aus/NZ, so I'd be a bit surprised if one showed up here.

Upvote 0
Unfortunately, I was not given any region for where it came from.

Ive seen the nose-point on several species and do not think its an indication of type. I know its a long shot..any other ideas?

Upvote 0

MsV

Blue Ring
Registered
He definitely has eye spots. I was reading in front of the tank today and glanced up, and FINALLY saw them. He seems to have to be pretty relaxed for them to show, is all. :smile:

Upvote 0

Taollan

Vampyroteuthis
Registered
Cuttlegirl, where have you seen O. micropyrsus assigned to the genus Enteroctopus. This is the first time I have seen that, and I must admit, it seems very strange to me.

Upvote 0

daddysquoc

Wonderpus
Registered
maybe o. filosus? one pic in Cephalopods A World Guide looks like your photos, except with eyespots. the spike on the end of the mantle also matches filosus, so that's my best bet.

May cephalopods be bestowed eternal glory!

Upvote 0

MsV

Blue Ring
Registered
Okay, I've finally managed to get camera talking to computer, so I'm going to revive this thread. My best (novice) guess is hummelincki/filosus, but anyone with a better notion of what they're looking at should shout me down.

He has a pointy head - some of the time. His resting colour/texture is smooth and a little iridescent, but he goes spiky and dark, or striped, or whatever when hunting or cranky. Eyespots of vivid blue are visible sometimes. He's not shy or nocturnal, even when both cats choose to sit on top of his tank.

Attachments

• conv_292579.jpg
    conv_292579.jpg
    661.2 KB · Views: 91
  • conv_292580.jpg
    conv_292580.jpg
    593.8 KB · Views: 119
  • conv_292581.jpg
    conv_292581.jpg
    546.1 KB · Views: 77
  • conv_292582.jpg
    conv_292582.jpg