• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Octo-ID

Greetings!

I am the keeper of this octo shown in the youtube-linkt below.
Its 20 cm from tip to tip and seems to be very shy nocturnal.
At night its totally white and bleach. The video was made directly after his arrival, that was the only time i saw it by light.
The import-region should oe indopacific.
Has anyone an idea, witch species could it be?

thank you!

Beautiful animal and great video! You think that'd be enough but a little more info would help. Do you know where it came from- the more specific the better but at least which ocean for starters. Is it nocturnal or diurnal, and what kind of den does it make- bury in substrate or hang in live rock or some kind of "cave?"

Hi Sedna!

As I wrote: It seems to be very shy and nocturnal.
The den? Hmm... it burys itself under the Rocks and closes the entrace with sand and gravel.
Export location is bali, but this could be just a interstation!

That terrific webbing is reminiscent of the briareus (definitely not briraeus) and knocks out species that we commonly see. The cripsis at the end of the mantle also looks unusual in its small anemome shape Most of the digging octos from this region have been classified as some variety of marcropus complex however, looking a second time in Norman (Cephalopods A World Guide the only one that I see that is close is one simply described as Octopus sp. 4 (page 240 Great Barrier Reef).

Attachments

• conv_294057.jpg
    conv_294057.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 86
Hello dwhatley, and thank you very much for your interesting hint! I read much about octopus care but i fear, I am not really good in taxonomy. The term "marcropus complex" I hear for the first time. Could you tell me more about that?
And what is a "cripsi"? My translation-tool does not know this vocable. Sorry, I am not a native speaker. :wink:
And with "webbing" you mean coulured or camouflaging parts of the skin?
I am thrilled to learn more.

The webbing is the skin that stretches between the arms. I think maybe D meant "crypsis" which is the camouflage pattern.

My first thought on seeing the video was Octopus marginatus or coconut octopus. Just a shot in the dark.

Redoc, I thought about that one too but it digs in the sand and buries. I started to suggest putting in a shell to see if it would choose a mobile den but the underground denning, the lack of a noticable vein pattern and that interesting shape it makes at the tip of its mantle make me think otherwise. Beautiful octo, whatever it is.

Reviewing the video once again, it looks like it can create that anemone shape all over its mantle, not just at the tip. Very interesting and you would expect a description to include the ability.

Rosendorn1, it would be helpful if you would update your profile and show where you live. We have international members who might be able to help if there is a difficulty with English :wink:, unfortunately, it is my only language.

The macropus complex is a grouping of nocturnal octopuses. There are many different kinds and sizes and many do not yet have names. The octo I showed from my book is not a member of this complex but is unnamed. Most of the macropus octopuses only show red or white for colors and have reflective white spots.

Thank you for the explanations.
The Shape of the mantle, especially at the tip. is really interesting, I saw that too.

Rosendorn1, it would be helpful if you would update your profile and show where you live.

Done! This was not my first posting in that great forum, i had an account just called rosendorn without the "1" (I was the guy with the bluering-project), but i had problems with logging in an contact the admin, so i had to create a new one.
Im a passionate reefkeeper, ypu can find my main tank here:

www.adversus.de/rosendorn/aquarium

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back