Octo ID, please?

Ladybug5234

Cuttlefish
Registered
Wow... very helpful! I guess I will not be ordering from them then. One just appeared for sale at saltwaterfish.com. I'm trying to get someone there to tell me the type/species, although I read somewhere either here or on RC that most octos coming from saltwaterfish.com have been Hummenlicki. Can anyone verify that?

Anyways, the tank is now ready (I bought a new cycled tank - the other one cracked). I just need to buy some type of locking mechanism for the top and I will be all set.

Ladybug5234

Cuttlefish
Registered
I called saltwaterfish.com and they told me it was a Caribbean Octopus from Haiti. I googled that and got Octopus Briareus. Would anyone recommend for or against this species?

Ladybug5234;130111 said:
I called saltwaterfish.com and they told me it was a Caribbean Octopus from Haiti. I googled that and got Octopus Briareus. Would anyone recommend for or against this species?

If it's from Haiti... it's Caribbean. The octos we got from swf.com that we were told from Haiti were O. hummelincki.

Either way, yes I would recommend either species.

Ladybug5234

Cuttlefish
Registered
But will my tank be big enough? The new tank is supposed to be 60 gallons, but I highly doubt that - maybe 50 gallons at most. It is hard to figure out its volume because it is pentagonal shaped (yes, another one) and it has a square tower in the back.

Also, if I transferred the tank, with water and live sand and all, and set it right up (within an hour of taking down) can I introduce an octo in about 2 weeks or do I need to wait?

Thanks for all the help!

If the tank was established and up and running for a few months at least before being moved and set back up, then you will probably be safe in two weeks as long as you didn't stir the sand bed up too bad. I would have the water tested first though to be safe.

O. hummelincki will be fine in a 60, O. briareus probably would be, but they they are much funner to watch when they have room to really spread out and move about freely.

Latest Posts