Octo from Philippines - Abdopus Aculeatus(?)

Excellent info and preparation. It is helpful to have the tank details with both successes and losses. I have kept over 20 and still have lost them in the first 2 weeks (the time I call critical), my last was a similar heart break.

Yes of course, it's good info to learn from for everyone. That makes sense, the first two weeks are critical with most saltwater inverts I find. I'm happy I was at least able to get the little guy away from the horrible LFS before he passed. This was my main reason for quickly octopus proofing my tank (originally planned on pistol shrimp/goby pair). This LFS brings in octos once or twice a year, and they typically sit there for up to 6 months.... Until they pass away, or a staff member takes it home to live out its remaining days. I really wish they'd stop bringing them in there, as there doesn't seem to be much interest in them here. At least he got two days of peace in my tank, and a tasty last meal! :tentacle: The ground is frozen here, so I placed him in a small box with some nice tissue paper and a ribbon, and have him in the freezer. I will bury him once the ground thaws some. It didn't feel right to flush him.

I still have a few in formalin. I started preserving them when teachers and parents wrote in to request them for kids but not all have been taken and we don't see the interest as much lately. Without the formalin, they make a good fertilizer so if you have a garden, it would make a good resting place.

I am so sorry to hear about your loss and the loss of your cat. I would be crushed myself. Both my dog and cat are very old and I cant imagine what I am going to be like when that day comes.
I am not a fan of the critter keeper or leaving an octo in one for any amount of time. yet I know many who have and understand why its done. Again I am very sorry.

I am so sorry to hear about your loss and the loss of your cat. I would be crushed myself. Both my dog and cat are very old and I cant imagine what I am going to be like when that day comes.
I am not a fan of the critter keeper or leaving an octo in one for any amount of time. yet I know many who have and understand why its done. Again I am very sorry.
Thank you. Our cat wasn't very old, and it was very sudden, so I was even more devastated. I'm feeling a bit better now, since a few days have passed.

I have decided to try again with a new octopus. I talked to the owner of my favourite LFS, and he's going to look for one for me. He said he's going to contact his US vendors and try getting one from there. If he can't find one from there, he'll contact his Indonesian vendor.
He also suggested that the octopus could have been collected using cyanide, as collection practices in the Philippines aren't regulated well. I'm not sure if this could have been a contributing factor to it's death?

I've read that cyanide is still being used in some countries but I am not sure how true that is today as it takes a long time for old news to be replaced by more current practices (I believe it is illegal everywhere there is live fish collection now, if not globally, but implementation of laws varies). My thought is to not keep this on a list of possible answers, especially since it stayed alive for a period of time at the LFS.

I've read that cyanide is still being used in some countries but I am not sure how true that is today as it takes a long time for old news to be replaced by more current practices (I believe it is illegal everywhere there is live fish collection now, if not globally, but implementation of laws varies). My thought is to not keep this on a list of possible answers, especially since it stayed alive for a period of time at the LFS.
The LFS owner has flown to some of the suppliers out there, and he said cyanide is definitely still an active practice there... As they use a lot of children for capturing in tidal areas, and no one really monitors collection practices. He only orders from one Indonesian supplier, as he's been to their warehouse and gone out collecting with them several times. It's quite common for saltwater fish to die of cyanide poisoning in the trade. I had a possum wrasse die of cyanide poisoning a few months ago actually. I know it can take months for cyanide to become fatal in larger fish like tangs, but not sure how quickly it would kill inverts. Maybe not the reason my little guy passed, but potentially could be a factor in mysterious deaths of other octos?

I am sure it would not have been the case with mine as almost all of mine have been Caribbean and I know the collector for most of those. Cephs react pretty quickly to bad water so I would still put it low on the possibility list but I am guessing and have no references for my thinking.

Sad to hear that this is still being practiced.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back