• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Octo food??

Bigpapa

Wonderpus
Registered
Well I definately subscribe to the theory that the only dumb question is the one not asked..

Soo, I know octos will pick off fish in a tank-- are fish any good as a food source or endulgence?? The reason I ask is in my FOWLR tank I had aclimated some mollies and now have just a few :lol: !! Anyway, I put them in the tank that is almost ready for a new attempt at an octo and was wondering if he would be ok um getting aquainted with them :wink:
BTW, they are also great cleanup crews as they eat algae like crazy..

I can't see mollies doing any harm to an octopus. I'm sure snacking on a few isn't going to be that bad. I have seriously been thinking of putting a small fish in Kalypso's tank just to give her something she can chase around.

Just an observation with Octane

I tried putting a small, unknown, guppy looking (but not a guppy) fish that hitched with my shore shrimp (I usually have a couple of the unknown fish in each order) in with Octane. It seemed to bother him but the fish disappeared after a couple of days. Some months later, I repeated the donation (forgetting that 'Tane seemed uncomfortable with the first one until just after I released it) and the fish was gone the next day. The second time, I did not see Octane act nervous. Either or both could have gone out the overflow and I usually put the little fish in the sump anyway so I don't quite know what happened to them.

My thinking is that you should be able to remove the fish if you notice the octo being skiddish (not possible with these little ones and I won't add another).

When you are ready, check the availability thread if you want to try another Hummelincki as there is a collector posting that the Caribbean two spot is often available and locally caught through August (I have not used this source yet but was excited to see the posting). If we ever get 'Tane's new tank ready, I think I am going to order and wait for a small one to put in his current tank under the expectation that Octane will die of old age before the younger one needs the larger environment.

AM, if you have access to some shore shrimp, 'Tane seems to make those disappear overnight (again, they might just end up in the sump since I have never seen him chase one) and I do not see the same nerveous reaction with the shrimp.

Rob,
Yes, sorry I did not post a link. I have not purchased from them yet but their interest and direct collection make them worth a try in my book.

Rob,
Be sure and post if you make contact. There is a good chance that they are simply on vacation. I plan on ordering a small Hummelincki and will wait until one is available but would like to put in a request soon. Octane's tank should be habitable by next weekend if all goes well. The parts are all here and most of the build out is complete. This weekend we should be able to plumb it, add water and transferred LR from my other tank. Octane really needs the extra cruising room, I just hope he adapts well to a new environment at his age. The new octopus will take 'Tane's tank until he/she out grows it.

dwhatley;121734 said:
Rob,
Be sure and post if you make contact. There is a good chance that they are simply on vacation. I plan on ordering a small Hummelincki and will wait until one is available but would like to put in a request soon. Octane's tank should be habitable by next weekend if all goes well. The parts are all here and most of the build out is complete. This weekend we should be able to plumb it, add water and transferred LR from my other tank. Octane really needs the extra cruising room, I just hope he adapts well to a new environment at his age. The new octopus will take 'Tane's tank until he/she out grows it.

Absolutly, I will let you know asap. I just called again and just a machine--like a home machine. When I call later I will leave a message just in case.

Just got a hold of them. Tessa will be back late tonight and is the one to speak to. The guy I spoke to said they do still have some. Tomorrow I will call and speak to Tessa and see if I can get more info as well as any photos.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back