• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Octo food

AprylWillis

GPO
Registered
Where is a good place to get some cheap fiddler crabs? I want to get quite a bundle...maybe more than 25 if I can. I went to one of the sites and they said they had fiddler crabs at 25 for up to $60. I think that's a bit much. Can anyone help me? We still have some, so I'm not worried at this point.

Have a look at i need cuttle's post about free fiddlers in the Cuttlefish Care Forum. His cuttle recently died and he has fiddlers to give away if you'll pay the shipping.

Nancy

I see that he sold them to someone already. Dang it!

I'm going to buy him some more food this week and I really wanted to do it during the middle of the week. Nancy, if you know of anyone else, or if anyone else is reading this, I am very VERY interested in buying some fiddler crabs. They have to be of a decent size. He eats 2 small ones right now.
I live in Great Falls, Montana so anyone who is reading this can determine pricing for shipping and handling.

The LFS is PetCo and they won't sell them to me. That site you gave me won't let me do more than 1 quantity. I'm basically at a dead end right now. I'll have to buy him freshwater crab I guess.

I'm in a small town so it's kind of difficult to do that. How do you order them in more than one bulk of 10? I'm having a difficult time doing that. It just keeps showing up as 1 quantity when I specifically put 2 quantity. I'm trying to get at least 20-30, but I'm not having much luck. I'm even willing to buy from someone at Tonmo.com.

I tried it with 10 in the quantity box and it changed the price accordingly. Then when it was in the shopping cart, I changed it to 2 and pressed "change this quantity" and it adjusted it. Failing this, if you email them or call, they will accomodate you.

I don't know where you are located, or how small your town is, but it might be worth investigating a drive to a bigger city in your area... at least you would save on shipping costs...

cuttlegirl;80552 said:
I don't know where you are located, or how small your town is, but it might be worth investigating a drive to a bigger city in your area... at least you would save on shipping costs...

You've never been in Montana have you? Great Falls IS the bigger city!:lol:

Roflmao. Burn! Great falls IS unfortunately the bigger city. We don't have many pet stores who are willing to sell in bulk. They're quite greedy bastards.

Yikes, sorry I didn't realize that you lived in Montana... now I know why you are having so much trouble... road trip to Washington to catch your own fiddlers??? Only about an 11 hour trip I would imagine :bugout: .

Phone the Aquaculture Store - it's family-run and they're nice people.
Explain your problem and maybe they can arrange something. I don't think you need 200 at a time, but 20 or 30 would be nice.

Have you offered thawed frozen shrimp to your octo? - you can usually feed this and offer a fiddler a day, or every other day.

Shore shrimp from the Aquaculture store are also a possibility, but I wouldn't get them for a very young octo.

Nancy

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back