• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

octo escap'e

Does it actually make a difference? Well then again, just to keep it cephy, how many rings of calamari 1 1/2 inches in diameter does it take to get to...Mars?

Well then again, just to keep it cephy, how many rings of calamari 1 1/2 inches in diameter does it take to get to...Mars?

that depends. if you cut them, you can stretch 'em lengthwise. this would take about half the amount needed if you don't cut them.

:grad:

back to the octo escape. the octo tank at aquatopia has a feeding hatch. there is a lock on it, but some genius placed that on the inside :?: so it is never locked. still flubber never managed to climb out.

the hatch is about 20 cm above waterlevel and I think that with no grip for his suckers flubber just can't open it. if he somehow could get grip on the surface, we'd probably already found him on the floor somewhere.

of course this is theory. if he is persistent enough, maybe he'll prove me wrong some day. hope he doesn't

Hi Ant,

Well, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. You have to have a lot of velcro (or artificial turf) to make sure that the octo can't reach above it when fully grown. For a bimac, this might be as much as two feet above the water. There are some other considerations too, discussed in past posts. In the end, you have to lock down your tank!

Nancy

My housemates and I were joking about keeping a blue ring octopus in an escape-proof setup: the aquarium would be sealed and submerged in a larger aquarium full of a concentrated copper solution.

I imagine this would work well unless the octopus could come up with some sort of environmental suit.

Attachments

• conv_287648.jpg
    conv_287648.jpg
    8.5 KB · Views: 79
DHyslop said:
I imagine this would work well unless the octopus could come up with some sort of environmental suit.

That's why we make 4 pairs of long elastic mittens. :wink:
Then we make them some nice warm hats, mantle cover and um.. ah..oh.. and a underwater radio and some Neil Daimond records.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back