• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Octavius smashing mantle against glass

Octavarium

Wonderpus
Registered
My octopus has been jetting backwards into the corners of my tank recently, never noticed this behavior until about a week ago...and never with my other hummelincki. Im worried because now theres definitely some patches of destroyed skin. He does this jetting and parachuting out arms and webbing motion very quickly, and occasionaly hits the glass and keeps going. Would there be any parasites that could cause this behavior, as a sort of "itching"? Its the same 29 g tank, but it doesnt seem to be a room issue, because he only does this once he gets near a corner.

Jetting is not uncommon. One person who'd kept many, many bimacs reported that only one of them didn't jet and run into things, and this was in a large tank. I don't think we know why, maybe just want more swimming room.

Nancy

Our local aquarium's GPO was heart breaking to watch when she was first introduce to her tank and I saw her jetting into the walls the whole time I was able to observe her. Octane liked to swim (and still does some) when he was first introduced. If he hangs on long enough to be installed in his larger tank, I am hoping he will do more of it again. He learned the tank boundries pretty quickly though and I never saw him bump hard (the GPO really slammed into the walls).

You might try putting a strip of something dark (if you are a guy, well, duct tape is a consideration :twisted: but the residue is hard to remove) on the corners to act as a demarcation of the tank boundries (like some people mark glass doors to be able to tell if they are open or closed). Since they see differently than we do, something (a reflection?) may make the corner seem open.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back