Octavius II arrives

Almost as big as my original Octavius right before death, mantle isnt as big and arms aren't as long (arm to arm fully stretched is probably 10 inches or less). This is unfortunate however, that it is probably in its latter stages in life. But I'll be more than happy to get a good month or more out of it. Today is the second day it took scallops right from a feeding stick. Crawling all over the glass and not afraid to touch my hands out of water. Its amazing how interactive this species is, especially only a few hours after a stressful trip. Here it is right after taking the scallop from the stick.
002.jpg

Today was live food ver. 1.0. I saw some live fiddlers when picking up neon tetras for my other tank, and decided to throw one in. It took him a while to notice, but I got a nice shot of him jumping off the glass before he jetted to get it.

129.jpg

007.jpg

008.jpg

Then he gave a nice close up of what happens to misbehaved crabs before he squished into his den.

017.jpg

019.jpg

Very similar to my last hummelincki, he's usually always out during the day and on the glass. He isnt too fond of charging towards my hand or feeding skewer yet, but that may change soon enough. Lebowski was even on the premises today to make sure the operations went smoothly.

034.jpg

Octavarium,
You blew it. The first shot was a good candidate for the, Find the Ceph in the Photo game.

Has either Octavius had any initial problems with gauging how tight to stick to the glass? Octane had almost humerous problem with the acrylic for about 2 weeks and I had not seen others mentioning similar acclimation issues.

dwhatley;120832 said:
Octavarium,
You blew it. The first shot was a good candidate for the, Find the Ceph in the Photo game.

Has either Octavius had any initial problems with gauging how tight to stick to the glass? Octane had almost humerous problem with the acrylic for about 2 weeks and I had not seen others mentioning similar acclimation issues.

Shoot, forgot about that thread sorry. I'll try and get some sneakier ones. Both seemed to stick on pretty good from the get go, never slip and seem to have good control with moving. I wonder how different acrylic is compared to glass for the suckers? Do you have any videos of Octane's fumblings?

Hey, I just turned 14 a month ago and got an octopus w/tank for my birthday so you can tell I'm new to this site. She is completely mine and stays in my room. The reason I'm posting this though is because I named mine Octavius too.

chaostheory;121038 said:
Hey, I just turned 14 a month ago and got an octopus w/tank for my birthday so you can tell I'm new to this site. She is completely mine and stays in my room. The reason I'm posting this though is because I named mine Octavius too.

:welcome: to TONMO, to you and your Octavius! If you tell Nancy your octo's species, age, and so forth, I'm sure she'd love to add Octavius to the "list of our octos"

RIP little buddy. He died today after not eating for 3+ days. I was very concerned over the glass bumping behavior he had, I don't know if that did him in or it was age, Im pretty sure he was near the end anyways since he looked same size as my first girl. I don't know what to do with the empty tank now, I'll wait a while I guess. I was thinking cuttle maybe for first try, but probably would miss an octopus after a while...so for now the 29 next to my bed is empty.

Sorry about Octavious. I am looking for another hummelincki but the reports from swf.com continue to be short lived critters so I am not willing to try (so far so good with Carol's second one though, not so with BigPappa). If you are anything like Neal and me, you won't leave the tank empty. Neal asked me tonight why I had not found another as we both miss 'Tane far more than we would have ever guessed.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back