Octavius II arrives

Octavarium

Wonderpus
Registered
Well my octo came today, and I just finished 3 hours of acclimating. It is being named Octavius II, to continue the legacy of hummelinckis reigning supreme. Saltwaterfish.com was nice enough (Kim) to give me pictures of the only different species besides the briaerus they have, and she got an excellent picture showing the orange ocelli, so I said go ahead and ship.

Here are the 2 pictures she sent me
octo1.jpg

octo2.jpg

Upon opening the box,styrofom top, and all other wrappings...I was completely horrified. The water was pitch black, it had inked itself to death.
094.jpg

Little did I know, it was just something on the plastic itself to block light. My heart jumped back into the pericardial cavity where it belonged.

Here Octavius II is acclimating
091-1.jpg

As of now the lights are off and it is already making a nice den in the LR, I'll have more pictures later when the lights are off.

Fantastic! Great that they sent you a pic and worked with you. I noticed a couple of days ago they started listing their octos as O. briareus instead of Octopus sp.

? i just thought of something. how do you acclimate octos? im used to setting a bag of water with a fish in the tank it till the temp is the same then letting the fish out. all the pictures ive seen of octos acclimating are taken in buckets or styrofoam boxes. am i missin somethin here?

-Keith

It's called the "drip" method. Empty the contents of the bag into a bucket. Use airline tubing to draw water out of the tank into the bucket. Tie a knot in the tubing so you can squeeze it and adjust it so that it's dripping about 2 or 3 drops a second. It slowly introduces your tanks water into the water the creature is already acclimated to so it can acclimate to your tank water without any shock.

Sometimes just acclimating to temperature is fine and in some cases probably better. Most of the time the drip method is the way to go though.

Animal Mother;120471 said:
Fantastic! Great that they sent you a pic and worked with you. I noticed a couple of days ago they started listing their octos as O. briareus instead of Octopus sp.

Yeah she said this was the only different octo they had from the others, all the rest were definitely the "
carribean reef octopus". So I assume all they have left truly are briaerus.

Keith;120477 said:
? i just thought of something. how do you acclimate octos? im used to setting a bag of water with a fish in the tank it till the temp is the same then letting the fish out. all the pictures ive seen of octos acclimating are taken in buckets or styrofoam boxes. am i missin somethin here?

-Keith

I think the drip method is best when dealing with saltwater fish, because the SG difference that exists can shock them, and just floating a bag wont transfer any salt through, just temp. Its being on the safe side, but for freshwater fish I just float a bag and release as you said.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back