[Octopus]: Octane - O. Hummelincki (filosus)

This is one of my favorite video's I've seen of a hummelincki doing that. VERY dramatic.

Did I mention I miss Tuvalu?

Octane looks MUCH bigger than either of my hummelincki's were. Stout.

AquaForce,

I won't have a glass tank because of the ease of modification and absence of leak problems associated with the acrylic but being able to restore the internal scratches would be terrific. I have almost no outside scratching (the insides are an opposite story) but bought a kit for a deep scratch I accomplished several years ago when I almost pulled a 4' tall tank over on top of myself.

I'll try the "inside the tank with the magnent" idea when I move Octane. I have a scratch removal kit (from the above problem) but have been afraid to use it with the critters in the tank (especial an octo). All the reading I could find on the idea suggest the acrylic dust does not cause a problem but since I am hoping to move him anyway, this would be ideal timing. The new tank has minor scratches but not worth buffing. An advantage of the new split tank though will be that if I need to buff, I should be able to close off half and run a filter while I am buffing without effecting the other half. From what I can tell, the material they use is no different from the kit I have and I have a different brand of magnet. I may try it on some nasty scratches I have on my 140 as there is only one fish and I am less afraid of harming the gills because of the water volume. If that is ineffective, I may spring for the design that fits properly.

Thanks!

AM,
WOW super video! I have not seen Octane maintain the flashing for that long but the effect is the same and just makes you do a double take when you see it. I wonder if other species do this as well. It is interesting that Octane never plays tug-of-war with a feeding stick but Neal uses a bamboo skewer instead of the nylon (I just use my fingers :razz:)

I wonder why we don't seek the keeper on TONMO.

Animal Mother;117577 said:
Did I mention I miss Tuvalu?

I will have a rough time when I lose him. No one else seems to have one as large as Octane so I am hoping he is actually younger than his size suggests. Trapper was also very large for a Merc and are from a similar area (FL Keys).

He eats well and sheds often and we just enjoy him day to day, knowing that the time may be limited.

"Octane looks MUCH bigger than either of my hummelincki's were. Stout."

Seconded. I've been assuming it's because Oliver is still pretty young, but s/he's much leggier than Octane - dead ringer otherwise, though.

Wow, great vid, though! Octane really is a fantastic animal!

MsV,
Unfortunately that super vid is not Octane :oops: but his flashing is just as dramatic inspite of my less obvious posting (just not quick enough with the camera).

So far none of the other Hummelincki are as chuncky as 'Tane and it may have to do with where he was born and the food supply available when tiny (I am hoping this is the case since it would make him younger than his size would suggest).

I asked Mucktopus about size at one point and she agreed with other readings that same species octos vary greatly in size and that food supply is thought to be one of the factors. The more I think on it though, I suspect food is a minor factor since octos from the same area are sized differently (Muctopus' paper on mating showed this in that the males looked for larger females and mentions small males but the short life span would suggest that aging was not the reason for size differences). I don't think it is solely genetics either from my one experience with the Mercs. Mom was very large, her children much smaller BUT all similar in size and my one surviving tank bred is smaller yet. Many fish will "size" down to the container in the aquarium world but this would not explain the size differences in the wild. :confused:

Monty,
Whew! I thought I was losing it! I suggested she post in ID requests for a bit more attention and then saw that the post was not really in Octane's journal like I thought so I removed the suggestion then decided I was having an sensence moment!

:sagrin:
monty;117596 said:
Oops, sorry, didn't mean to be a minion of chaos.
:sagrin:

dwhatley;117595 said:
Monty,
Whew! I thought I was losing it! I suggested she post in ID requests for a bit more attention and then saw that the post was not really in Octane's journal like I thought so I edited the not and removed the suggestion then decided I was having an sensence moment!

Oops, sorry, didn't mean to be a minion of chaos.

More Colors of Octane

Sorry for the photo quality but I finally got a shot of Octane doing his half body coloration. I missed the strongest color separation but these photos were taken seconds apart (as fast as I could get focus and shoot).

Attachments

• conv_292812.jpg
    conv_292812.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 137
  • conv_292813.jpg
    conv_292813.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 128
  • conv_292814.jpg
    conv_292814.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 164
I love that video, I swear the US version was different (or I missed a lot of it). I wish 'Tane was Vulgaris and the similarities with that one are more that I would have expected since the ones at Mote were not as thick bodied (I read somewhere that Hummelincki has often been confused with Vulgaris but then every octo has been called a Vulgaris). Unfortunately that eye spot means he is Hummelincki and full grown rather than a young Vulgaris (I actually have a tank I want to convert for a Vulgaris after my mandarin doen't need a home). Even the ink is the same (my Mercs ink is thick and black but Octanes is thin and brown).

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back