Ocho Passed Away Today

I knew this day was coming for quite some time. I actually noticed a major behavior change and decrease in appetite back in December so I'm grateful she made it this long. Oh yeah, no eggs were ever laid so I guess she's a he. He was down to eating just a small bit of shrimp only about once a week and even stopped going underneath the undergravel filter to sleep for the last month or so. It was like a clock slowly winding down. I guess it makes it easier this way instead of a sudden death. I found him with a few legs up in the whisper filter intake and appeared stuck. On a normal day I would see him occasionally stick his arms in the intake feeling around and would pull them back out with ease. This wasn't a normal day, his energy level was just too low. I turned off the filter and he still couldn't get the arms out or even appear to try, so I left the pump off from that point on and disconnected the plastic end of the intake to free him up. I got my hands in there to see if I could manually help to get that intake off to no avail. when I tried to gently tug, it felt like the legs were going to tear. Since I knew Ocho was close to passing, I just left it. I wanted to let him go in peace without me trying to interfere with things. He would just slowly scoot around the tank with the intake still attached to a few legs. That was day before yesterday and was still clinging to life with very shallow breaths all day yesterday. This morning I found a still and lifeless Ocho face down.

I had Ocho for 10 months and that's considering I bought him near full grown. I think if I got him at just a month or 2 old I think the lifespan would have been quite possibly up to a year and a half, maybe even more. As always, I try not to get too attached to an octopus because of the short lifespan, but it's still always a bummer when they go cause it's something you've fed and cared for. I celebrate the long life and good memories I have of Ocho.

In Memory:

Taken Very Recently

Full Tank Shot

The Final Picture of Ocho Alive

......and Blondie the Damsel survived the Octopus.

Attachments

• conv_303000.jpg
    conv_303000.jpg
    153.3 KB · Views: 86
  • conv_303001.jpg
    conv_303001.jpg
    257.3 KB · Views: 69
  • conv_303002.jpg
    conv_303002.jpg
    132.7 KB · Views: 77
RIP Ocho....An amazing and beautiful animal. Thank you for sharing him with us. It's never easy when an octopus passes...:angel:

RIP Ocho :angelpus: :cry:

This is something we often use in our Kennel club when a dog dies, but I think it's appropriate for all our pets.

"Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.
There are meadows and hills (and oceans) for all of our special friends so they can run and play together.
There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.
The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....
"

Author unknown...

aw man, that is a bummer. RIP Ocho :angelpus: ......Phuntoon, you are a great octo keeper, you always have had great posts....hope you keep it up :smile:

:sad: :angelpus:

Thanks so much for sharing your stories and pics of Ocho. I think you and Ocho proven that "Octopus sp. 11" can make a wonderful pet, so if another one of his species shows up, you've left a legacy of information.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back