• Welcome to TONMO, the premier cephalopod interest community, and birthplace of #WorldOctopusDay and #CephalopodAwarenessDays. Founded in 2000, we are a large community of experts, hobbyists and enthusiasts, some of whom come together when we host our biennial conference. To join in on the fun, sign up. You can also become a Supporter for just $50/year to remove all ads and enjoy other perks. Follow us on Twitter for more cephy goodness.

Obtaining Octopus and the Dilemma of Instant Gratification

cthulhu77

TONMO Supporter
Registered
Monty and DH...both good posts!!!!

The big problem here is that we are looking at a situation where the business owner really has other, and much more major, concerns than the availability of bimacs...

This is equivalent to breeding oddball snakes...when they are around, they will be sold...but don't expect any sort of feedback until then.

If people with an attitude keep on attacking him, and making really ridiculous references to Octopets...it will fold. Then we all suffer.

If VL is soooooooooooo unhappy about customer service, perhaps he/she could start their own retail shop, and just show us all how it is done, all the while making millions of dollars in the octo trade. Yeah, sure.

greg

cthulhu77

TONMO Supporter
Registered
VL said:
At this point I hope he does shut down. He has horrible customer skills and should not be selling anything if he ignores his customers like this.

As far as him being the only one selling captive raised octo, who cares. That doesn't give him the right to be non-responsive to customers.

Clueless. completely clueless. Are you new to the animal trade?

I'm surprised some ceph lover here hasn't offered to help Octopets with their email and customer service inquiries in return for a steady supply of bimacs. They are short lived creatures after all, so a ceph lover might purchase a new one every year. Plus, by volunteering in this area, you are helping to guarantee a steady supply of octos for the future.

Granted, it may seem like more work to answer emails than just pay for the octo, but I would view it more as a hobby than a money saving proposition. I've put a good amount of time into supporting my hobbies on the web, especially with answering the 'same' newbie questions over and over on other sites (here, I'm the newbie!).

If I were Octopets, I would setup an instant email reply system, such as 'Thank you for your email. As you might know, we are a small but enthusiastic ceph supply company. To help keep costs down, we answer emails once per week on Mondays. Please help us by waiting until Tuesday if a response has not been received'.

That way, people get their 'instant gratification' of an email response, and don't frantically check their mail every 5 minutes looking for a response, but rather understand that they won't get a reply until Monday / Tuesday. It would probably be much easier for Octopets to handle their email in one batch, and as well it would probably signficantly cut down on their email volume, at least the 'Hey, I didn't get a response yet' emails.

I would also include a 'blurb' that could be updated in the email such as 'We are currently raising new bimacs and should have some available for the second week of June. We don't have any to ship before then, but will be accepting orders for this batch starting June 5th'.

That way, it answers a lot of customer questions with minimal effort on their behalf. If Jim's listening, heck I could look into setting that up in exchange for a bimac (and some clams!).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomasjedlicka

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan
TONMOCON VII (2018): ekocak