[Octopus]: o. Vulgaris, we named him Trevor

You might be interested to know that a number of octo owners have reported their octopuses watching TV. One seemed to like football and watched football games with his owner. Another preferred cartoons. They seem to like bright colors and action.

Nancy

I'm considering a cheapie iPad to set against his tank, or chaining another monitor to this one so that Trevor can watch with us again. This monitor is on a turning "lazysusan" thing but in order for Trevor to see it from his new tank, I'm having to turn it completely around and that's difficult.

We'd had freshwater fish like Azra our blue Betta, he watches everything we watch, or just watches us. Simon, our Diamond Goby watches TV a little bit but mostly watches us disapprovingly for some reason.
It's different with Trevor though and more so than we'd expected. He's very interested in strange and varied places in which to hide. Probably a third of the tank is now just stuff to hide in that my Wife has been curing in her freshwater tanks; a cave thing, a triceratops skull. We decided against letting him play in a human skull. Too close to home and what if he put it together too and got grossed out.
Oh so anyway his PVC gym is very slowly getting longer as we busily price and hit up our friends for modular critter trail or habitrail activity tubes

Considering a few fish, for Trevor's tank. :smile: Just a few, small and fast fish. Or maybe even a single big fast fish. Something he won't eat.
OR are there the marine equivalent of "Feeder Guppies", something I could toss in there cheaply and without worrying about losing my soul any further? Maybe that way I can actually have something to WATCH in the tank when Trevor's crashed, until of course he eats them.
I have a Damsel, she lives alone in a sixteen gallon because she picks on everyone hatefully so she lives with a Hermit. I worry that she'd pick on Trevor though, and I would hate that very much.
Any thoughts? I thought THIS would be a good one, for asking my betters.
Thanks

I will always recommend against any fish in an octopus tank. Over time either the octopus will become annoyed and successfully kill the fish (but not eat most of it - sometimes the soft parts - leaving decaying fish in the tank), become intimidated by it and stay in its den and/or be picked on risking infection. Here is a thread with a few documented cross references of failed choices along with successful tank mate choices.

Well hm. I don't mind losing a few small fish but not if he isn't going to eat them. In that case I guess it's just the snails and hermits (and yes we saw him snatch up a snail... did he EAT it, we're not sure yet) and we'll get him a red serpent star. Our current one "Red" is too too big for Trevor.

Update:
He did it again, earlier this morning. Yesterday morning, technically but anyway. He rushed over, snatched up a snail right off of the tank wall, swam with it a bit wrapped around it but showing just enough to show us plainly that he had a snail. Then he dashed away to hide with it. His tank only has three snails right now, Turbos I believe, and one was DEFINITELY not within sight for quite some time.
Well. About an hour later who do I see but the third snail working his way up one of the snuff bottles from one of Trevor's hiding places.
I'm thinking that he is hungry, grabs up a snail, and tastes it or something and decides "Nah, not that hungry after all" and lets him go.

LittleBit did that with one of the snails (I don't remember if she finally ate it) in her tank. I posted pictures of her molesting it, a picture of the "empty" shell and then a later picture of it climbing the wall.

There is also a video of her banging a shell (I don't remember if it still had the snail or if it was inhabited by a hermit) against the rock in front of her den.

Ah okay, so he's amusing himself with his pet snails. I can wrap my brain around that. haha That's great stuff.
I do have a toy in there it is a little specimen tube with some colored beads in it, has enough of a bubble inside to make it sit upright on the sand. He does play with it, we find it in different places all round the tank.
Other than that, we haven't really shopped much for things for him specifically to play with.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back