[Octopus]: o. Vulgaris, we named him Trevor

Trevor's 55g Tank: Sand, aquarium gravel, large smooth river rocks, Chaeto and Caulerpa hither and yon and about therein. Plenty of places to hide and plenty of space for his ten gallon glass Feeding Box tank on one end.
I'm going to put up a bit of background, just dark colors and only enough to give him a back and a corner to snuggle against.
His top will be light-diffusion panel with cloth window screening in between. Taped down on one end, completely and on the other weighed down to allow access.

Companions will be, basically, what he'll eat or leave alone. Hitchhikers like the Asterinas and the bristle stars, and worms, et cetera... and of course several Hermits to live there with him. Welcome suggestions on THAT, so as to hopefully pick less of his remains out of there and more of it gets eaten by someone

Sunlight from a nearby window, seems like it's all the macroalgae wants. Obviously it would benefit from a light, I'm not a moron. But why? It bugs the Octopus. And it seems fine, if not growing very quickly. (shrug)

Don't know what you guys been reading but here's the Octopus schedule. He comes out around two pm to eat. After that he lurks and watches TV or just watches us until we go to bed. Then we don't see him again until two pm the next day. That's the way he runs the household so far. Not very nocturnal.

O. vulgaris is listed as the most commonly studied species, however, it is unclear if there are multiples classified as vulgaris or if the differences are not distinct enough to specify new species. The general agreement is that they are a complex. The animals we call vulgaris in the US are considerably smaller and live in warmer water than those in the Mediterranean. The most current in situ observations have found them foraging at most any time where older European observations called them nocturnal. It may well be that your lack of direct lighting, feeding and room activity provides for a regular schedule that suit him.

Very cool. Does he seem to prefer any kind of programming?
:popcorn:
:smile: Yes, for some reason he seems to find car chases the most interesting. Sirens and squealing brakes. Won't take his eyes off of it. So we stick with 70's cop/detective shows. Working our way through Season Two of Starsky and Hutch right now...

Strange thing, thought it funny.
He has a ten gallon rectangular glass tank nestled in and on some rocks and sand. I set it crooked, so that he would possibly find it a place to hide beneath if he wanted to.
So naturally he spends most of his time there. He can see us just fine, we have to search for him. He comes out if we don't interact with him; stand there a minute so he can focus (for one thing), say something to him with "Trevor" in it at least twice, et cetera. If we DON'T do that, then he'll come out. IF it's after two PM mind you.
Still only reaching in there for rearranging and feedings. He's so SMALL to me.
When he takes off around his new tank he's a dark color, NO rings noted around his eyes unless he's startled or nervous, thank you DW.
Changes to a light blue and back when the mood strikes him it seems like. I've seen him do it maybe twice, three times. The Wife has seen it once. LOVES the black sand, smooooooths onto it and turns black and he is GONE, just sitting there. Amazing stuff.
Oh so anyway the strange thing.
He was lurking under his ten gallon tank today and I was concerned that I hadn't seen him eat for sure since I'd moved him.
Needing to feed his Hermits anyway, I dropped a few Sinking Pellets from the LFS, you know the ones, for freshwater tropical bottom feeders. Hermits love those. Well so do Trevors. He made a big show about whipping his tentacles around two of them and just taking them right up.
Inspired, I dropped a Krill down there and he got that too about twenty minutes later.
I don't know if they are NUTRITIOUS, okay. But Trevor liked that one encounter with the Sinking Pellets and we're going to try it again once in awhile. Kind of funny though huh?

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back