• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

O. mercatoris setup for a first timer

evan484

Cuttlefish
Registered
Hi,
I am looking to setup an octopus tank on the cheap and decide that this was the species that would match my budget. I have 2 other reef tanks so i can say i have at least a bit of experience in salt water. I was hoping i could get a couple of different ideas for layouts from some different people. For example what kind of filter, is protein skimming nessisary, and if my 20 gallon is suitable?
Also some information about the species from anyone would be greatly apreciated.
Thanks,
Evan

Thanks for the links, they were very helpful reguarding the animal itself. Can anyone tell me specific setups that would be recemended for this species. as in what kind of filter should i should use? is 20 gallons big enough and other general requirements.
Thanks,
Evan

That second link describes our tank, filter, and lighting setup on post #5 of the first page: 20 gallon tank, Rena FilStar xP1 filter, red vellum covering a fluorescent bulb. You can see the liverock, crushed coral, and macro algae in the photo.

If you have the option, I prefer an acrylic tank because of the overlapping top that most have for support. This minimizes any octoproofing needed for the mercs (not for other though). Sisturus and Medusa and later Miss Broody's offspring were housed in a a 15 gallon acrylic hex with heafty piece of LR and a Skilter filter/simmer combo. Red lighting is must if you want to observe them and the threads gholland mentioned as well as recent journals by DinoIgnacio and K0mpresd show lighting discussions.

gholland;131358 said:
That second link describes our tank, filter, and lighting setup on post #5 of the first page: 20 gallon tank, Rena FilStar xP1 filter, red vellum covering a fluorescent bulb. You can see the liverock, crushed coral, and macro algae in the photo.

Thanks that is definitly a big help. Is the Rena FilStar xP1 a good enough filter or should i up grade to something bigger like the magnum pro 350 which does 350gph vs 250 i believe. With the abcence of a protien skimmer along with the huge bioload an octopus produces what should my water changes be like?

Also, does anyone have a good source for mercs?
Thanks
Evan

Danthemarineman (TONMO name) often has them available and usually answers a PM.

I change 5 gallons of water a week in the 15 gallon as well as 5 gallons a week in the 45 (both merc tanks). My theory is the smaller the tank the more water changes (percentage) it needs and have found that 5 gallons a week, regardless of size (over 5 gallons of course, the pico gets a 98% change) seems to keep everything well balanced. Do note, however, that this is not the typical evaluation.

dwhatley;131418 said:
Danthemarineman (TONMO name) often has them available and usually answers a PM.

I change 5 gallons of water a week in the 15 gallon as well as 5 gallons a week in the 45 (both merc tanks). My theory is the smaller the tank the more water changes (percentage) it needs and have found that 5 gallons a week, regardless of size (over 5 gallons of course, the pico gets a 98% change) seems to keep everything well balanced. Do note, however, that this is not the typical evaluation.

Im setting up a 20 gallon. Should i do 5 gallons at once or change 5 gallons over the course of the week?

Also does any one have a suggestion for a filter for a tank that size?
-Evan

As much as it would seem like too much at once, I do it one time a week and have never had a problem (keep in mind this tank has been set up for several years but has had several bottom substrate changes). As much as they get a bad rap, I like the all in one Skilter skimmer (with additional air stone) for the small tank. The cascade helps keep the surface tension broken for gas exchange and my water stays clear and tests on the money for 0's on ammonia and nitrite. The well stirred sand bed and the filter keep my nitrates just in the detectable range.

dwhatley;131474 said:
As much as it would seem like too much at once, I do it one time a week and have never had a problem (keep in mind this tank has been set up for several years but has had several bottom substrate changes). As much as they get a bad rap, I like the all in one Skilter skimmer (with additional air stone) for the small tank. The cascade helps keep the surface tension broken for gas exchange and my water stays clear and tests on the money for 0's on ammonia and nitrite. The well stirred sand bed and the filter keep my nitrates just in the detectable range.

Intresting, most of what I've seen is people using canister filters. Honestly I am not quite sure the mechanics of them and the advantages. Can someone explain. Did the since the Skilter skimmer is a HOB did it make octo proofing difficult?
Thanks,
Evan

It would be almost impossible to use this kind of filter for any other octopus and you will need to keep the water level just high enough to keep the siphon going (allowing for some evaporation) but lowered water levels and something covering the top for least two inches has been successful for the two groups I have kept this way.

Several people successfully use canisters with the large cephs but if you can set up a sump for the skimmer and filtration, it is hands down the easiest for maintenance. You can use a canister for the mercs but the combo skimmer provides better oxygenation of the water, an extra important factor when housing an octo in a small tank.

I use canister filters on my tanks because space is an issue at my house and I wouldn't be able to reach a sump once it was set up. Each filter is rated for twice the size of the tank they are on. The canisters work well, but it is a lot of work. When there is a ceph in the tank, I actually rinse the filter media weekly- which means taking the canister apart once a week. I have the output tube at H2O level to keep the surface constantly moving for O2 exchange. It has the advantage of adding another 3 gal. of H2O to the system, but with a sump that would be even more. With sumps you have storage for live food items and the maintenance is easier.

dwhatley;131529 said:
It would be almost impossible to use this kind of filter for any other octopus and you will need to keep the water level just high enough to keep the siphon going (allowing for some evaporation) but lowered water levels and something covering the top for least two inches has been successful for the two groups I have kept this way.

Several people successfully use canisters with the large cephs but if you can set up a sump for the skimmer and filtration, it is hands down the easiest for maintenance. You can use a canister for the mercs but the combo skimmer provides better oxygenation of the water, an extra important factor when housing an octo in a small tank.

I dont have a sump, would the HOB still be the best choice or should i got to a canister filter? Also, would a canister filter be more effective even if its a bit over kill?

I don't know much about the HOB stuff. I really like my Marineland canisters, as mentioned above I do clean them out once a week AS PART OF the H2O change (like D, about 5 gal each week). On my 20 gal. tank that I now have one merc in, I am running a filter rated for 50 gal. I have not read anywhere on the site about over kill for filtration! Once you have a system in place and a once a week schedule it really won't seem out of hand or confusing! D mentioned the airation as a factor in choosing a skilter, I keep the output at the H2O level pointed up to keep the surface moving. Having used a skilter before, I can tell you it's easier for clean up than pulling your canister out every week, but in part it is what works for you and especially what is available to you!

I was planning on using a 20 gallon tank that i have kept in my atic for about 4 years for my setup. However it recently occured to me, i have no idea where this tank came from. My concern is that it came from a yard sale some where (i was taught to never pass up a fish tank at yard sale), but im not quite sure. The reason this concerns me is that if it was used by someone else, they might have used copper in the tank and from what I read, if copper was ever used in the tank the octo would die. Is there any way to make sure that there are no traces of copper?

If I do need to buy a new tank, does anyone have a suggestion for what size. I saw one person had a pair of mercs in a biocube 14. I didnt even know you could keep them in pairs, any thoughs on that?
Also, are the all in one tanks like the biocube bad because of the posiblility of the octo going into one of the filter cambers. I was also looking at an eclipse 12. Is that to small?

Any suggestions are appreciated
Thanks, Evan

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back