[Octopus]: O. hummelincki

iAlex

Vampyroteuthis
Registered
Saturday night I picked up my new octopus from a local wholesaler. They told me he came in from the Keys on Thursday night. I didn't have a tank for an octo when they told me they had gotten a few octopus in, but I called them Friday letting them know I made some room. :roll: I took all of the fish out out of the 65g and moved them around into all my other tanks to make room for this guy.

I found my red LED light I used for the baby mercs I had and hooked it up and you can see it in this first picture.
i83U9RI.jpg

Wz4VmBG.jpg

9NQslYA.jpg

Now on to the octo. I'm guessing he is a hummelicki because I see a spot in the fourth picture. He's real tiny. (He escaped from that box in the first few pictures in about a minute, I figured it was worth a shot though...) He came out with lights on tonight so I snapped a few pictues.
htnjINz.jpg

YRCgE4e.jpg

RdKXQ2k.jpg

XbxKMDg.jpg

Za1l4SP.jpg

sqqOc4u.jpg

CLMxC73.jpg

YzT0cON.jpg

8hRjsGn.jpg

Ypm458O.jpg

Qk4QUex.jpg

v4xBS9S.jpg

KHawbK8.jpg

mDBjEJn.jpg

(I left my camera on a trip to North Carolina and have to wait for it to be mailed back, so I only have my phone to take pictures with, I know they aren't great)

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
I was wondering why your photography focus skills had declined until I saw your forgotten camera note. Nice to see these from FL again (I think Carol has one too).

iAlex

Vampyroteuthis
Registered
I know, I hate having to put these pictures up, they aren't up to my quality. :rolleyes2: Hopefully I'll have it by this weekend.
Do you agree with a hummelincki?
He was pretty active last night and I can see him hiding in the rocks, pretty fun octo so far. :cheers:

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
I can't remember when you guessed wrong :wink:. Definite eye spot in the sixth picture and the veined look is right (unlike Monty, the only other octo with an ocellus we have seen from the Caribbean and I still have no clue what species he was but keep hoping to get another).

iAlex

Vampyroteuthis
Registered
I didn't see him for a day or so until last night and this morning, and now it looks like he has some corkscrewed arms. :hmm:
vUItuqs.jpg

YMswA4N.jpg

EapcV6F.jpg

II856dv.jpg

EYCuzhZ.jpg

FT961aR.jpg

rh45W1w.jpg

RuMSBv7.jpg

ZOsgOnE.jpg

C4go6fH.jpg

rEEZeT9.jpg

2mJPCHT.jpg