O. Cyanea?

Decay

Blue Ring
Registered
my octopus finally arrived today, its roughly a foot long. i asked for a cyanea and i believe thats what it is. the webbing between its membrane goes a large way down its arms and its already used them to cover some live rock and catch a crab which i know is something cyanea does in the wild.

that dirty looking stuff at the bottom is live sand that my pump picked up and i haven't been able to entirely remove yet. any comments would be appreciated.

Attachments

• conv_303545.jpg
    conv_303545.jpg
    167.6 KB · Views: 97
i probably should have mentioned it. its from qld australia. ive been told cyanea is very common around here as well as abdopus aculeatus. im not sure when its active but it hasnt shied away from the light yet, and even sat with a torch in its face for a while. it has been cork skrewing the ends of its arms a bit since arriving if that helps.

Upvote 0
Corkscrew is likely stress. Not a good sign but not uncommon on arrival but still scary. Definitely not aculeatus and not gloomy but Australia has so many and we don't get to see them close up and on the forum.

Upvote 0
O. cyanea has eyespots so that will be a major help in identification. I've never seen a picture of an actual blue cyanea, but I didn't think they call them the "blue" octopus for nothing.

Upvote 0
after a few days of settling in it is definitely nocturnal, so not cyanea. it does look alot like briareus now that ive seen it out a bit.

the corkscrewing had decreased alot on the second night, and was almost gone last night which is good. i found out it wasnt looked after too well by the guy who caught it for me (not fed for a week and then it had a rough trip over in a bucket) which likely caused it alot of stress. its eating well and almost took food from my hand. already it has no problem with frozen mud crab.

heres another photo if it helps.

Attachments

• conv_293935.jpg
    conv_293935.jpg
    155.1 KB · Views: 123
Upvote 0
I would vote against briareus but there are likely to be differences between the ones in the Caribbean and those found in Australia. The mantle just does not look right - too thick and proportionally too large. AM? Does it color red at all? If so then it is likely Sedna has the complex called since they also have that flourescent green coloration and the thick rope like arms but almost all are red and not brown as their major color (Norman shows a couple of exceptions though). Beautiful animal, whatever he is!

Upvote 0

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back