O. briareus

That is one cool video! It looks like he's ready to climb right out of the tank to visit you! Your pics are great also! What fun he must be!

I should have a few pictures to show tomorrow, but I think my time is coming to an end with this guy. Heavy breathing, white coloration, curled arms all add up to a senescent octo. :sad:

The heavy breathing (and usually lethargy) are symptoms of senescence but be sure you check the water. I call the aging color gray because it is different from the vibrant healthy white. You can see the difference in comparative pictures but I notice when only looking at the late in life photos I have taken make the animal look healthier than what I see with my eye.

Died overnight. So I had him from November 27 to April 26, five months.

YZJpSLH.jpg

QYZtEbG.jpg

TDJ03E4.jpg

vjCa0E6.jpg

I wonder if it is my imagination but the briareus seem smaller since the extreme cold in 2010. I think Onn will be on the small side as well.

According to Cephalopods A World Guide, Mark Norman notes body size (assuming this means mantle) of 12cm (about 4.75") and an arm length of at least 60 cm (about 23.5 inches). Unfortunately, it is very hard to establish sizing at their largest if they live out a natural life because they "shrink" visibly during the last couple of weeks after they stop eating. Like all octopus though, the size can vary quite widely. My guess is that 3.5" for the mantle and 15" on the arms has been more typical but all the recorded sizes have been after death.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back