O. Briareus

Someone with more experience will hopefully chime in on that question. Stop kicking yourself, we all make mistakes. My personal thought is as soon as you have the larger tank stable, move her. It is an established system which will be much healthier for her. Like I said, I am not as experienced as some of our resident experts. I am sure (hoping) Dwhatly signs in tonight, she will be much more help.
I know you are stressing out and I can wait but...I really can't wait to see some photos even poor quality camera phone ones will do.

Its a quarter round tank so we had to make shift a cover. We used ducktape and the bags that marine salt comes in to cover everything. I will post pics just as soon as I figure out how... and really, the ones I have are really bad but i will post. lol

octo2.jpg
[/IMG]

first of all you made a mistake we all do...you recieved an octopus take a deep breath and enjoy it!!!!!!!!!!!!! it is a big day..smaller tanks are not ideal but water quality is the main issue.... just be carefull when doing those huge water changes that you do not kick your tank into a mini cycle and then move the octo soon after...most lfs put the octos in critter keepers so a smaller tank should be fine untill you have the main one set up...me personally would not do 80 percent..if you have access to ro water do between 25 and 50 percent everyday till it goes down...what feeders did you put in that died off so quickly? also was the shrimp you gave frozen or live?

I gave her a small chunk of frozen shrimp on a stick and she took it right off... I was suprised but excited. I had put some live oysters in the refugium that I had planed on cracking and feeding to her. What a mistake that was, but everyone is right... I made a mistake and I'm just greatful I had a second tank to put her in.

You are probably right about the amount of water changes. At least then I can strech the water I collect.

Fiesty is good :smile: Eating is good :biggrin2: You are right, those are some really bad photos and I am glad you were not looking for an ID:wink: From what I think I can tell from the arm thickness, this one may be fairly young. Be sure you have an inviting dark place in the temp tank. An artificial cave is fine. Mine seem to have preferred a slick bottom to a sandy one so an opaque plastic/glass jar might be ideal and would be something you can remove with her in it when it is time to put it in the larger aquarium. Try to make any escape routes undesirable, using lighting if needed but make sure a dark place is readily available.

There is some thought to keeping octos in a smaller enclosure for a couple of weeks to help them acclimate to humans better. I have never done it but have been tempted to try. With the given situation, you may as well experiment with the idea.

IMO: Do NOT put her in a tank that is showing ammonia. Amost anything would be better. DO go with your large water change idea and change water on both tanks often and DON'T use a chemical to try to correct the problem. On the temp tank, to keep the water safe, and on the existing one to get the environment stable. I would continue to use salted RO/DI in the temp tank since you don't really have a biological filter to help with organics that come in with the ocean water.

Fortunately, the spring is not the worst time for a drive to the shore, hopefully you will have a pretty day and can make the best of it (and double your normal water take). It takes me an hour + just to get to the airport to think about getting to the shore.:hmm: and they have gotten really picky about taking liquids on airplanes :tomato:

Its not looking so good. This morning I looked in on her and she was laying on her side. I thought she was dead actually and was taking off the lid to take her out when she started to move a bit. I'm not really sure what to do at this point other than wait. *Sigh* My poor little octo.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back