O. Briareus (Nikto)

My octo arrived this morning via fedex (from Tom) and although he was missing part of a limb he looked healthy. After acclimating him for about an hour and a half I put him in the tank and he immediately went into the rocks and started looking around. At this point he's blown pretty much all of the sand out from underneath the rocks, seems fairly active. I'll attach some pictures though most at this point are from the bucket I was using to acclimate him(her? haven't gotten that good a look at the tentacles yet). I've also thrown my rovio's live feed up at http://www.nicotinelounge.com if you're interested in a grainy feed from the side of my aquarium :smile:
Also, here is a quick video I took while acclimating: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mide6eIe2r8

Photos

Here are some photos:

Attachments

• conv_297441.jpg
    conv_297441.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 104
  • conv_297442.jpg
    conv_297442.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 102
  • conv_297443.jpg
    conv_297443.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 78
:welcome: to Tonmo!

I got one from Tom today also, there are four of us. Mine didn't make it. The box wasn't insulated and the heater was spent. I think the octopus just got too darn cold. I checked the SG and that was high also, did you check yours? I am going to check out your live feed, great idea. Good luck, I hope yours makes it, keeping my :fingerscrossed: for you!

Wow, :tentacle: the live feed! I don't think it's very grainy. Watch the fish, are those damsels? I had 2 living with my O. vulgaris, they were fine for a few months than they started biting his arms. I had to remove the little devils. And to think I was worried the fish were the ones in damger.

Yours looks very active, mine barley moved. It looks pretty good.

I'm really sorry to hear that, I'm sure Tom will feel bad as well. The heater in mine was still a bit warm but I did receive it fairly early (10AM EST). The SG was a bit low but I didn't check it until I had already started acclimating so it may have been even lower. There was quite a bit of waste in the bag so I started acclimating as quickly as possible. I guess shipping in the cold is a bit risky, I once received a few jellyfish that were well below optimal temperature and while they did eventually came back from it they were in pretty bad shape for about a week.

Yeah there are four fish, a bunch of little hermits, some snails, a few emerald crabs, a pencil urchin, and a brittle star. I hadn't even considered the fish posing a problem to the octopus, I will definitely keep an eye on them. I'm planning on getting a real rig with an hd camera on there soon, my mini-atx computer I'm planning on using for it is missing it's power supply at the moment so I figured the rovio would do well enough - at least now I can watch from work :smile:

Your SG was low? Mine was 1.030 1/2 hour into acclimation. My tank is 1.025 and I check it frequently. I had to recalibrate my refractometer but it was correct. I acclimated for over 3 hours to slowly bring it down. I just don't know if there was anything else I could have done. I feel horrible. My poor little octopus looked really sad too, it only had 4 arms, I wish I could have saved it.
I am getting another one Thursday. I requested insulation and an extra heater.

I've kept mine at 1.026 and when I measured the bucket it was between 1.024 and 1.025. I haven't seen the fish nip at him yet but I'll definitely move them if they do, my biorb is pretty empty anyway. Hope you have more luck with the next one. I'm sure there wasn't anything you could do at that point, sometimes we're just unlucky (and so are they).

Latest Posts