• Welcome to TONMO, the premier cephalopod interest community, and birthplace of #WorldOctopusDay and #CephalopodAwarenessDays. Founded in 2000, we are a large community of experts, hobbyists and enthusiasts, some of whom come together when we host our biennial conference. To join in on the fun, sign up. You can also become a Supporter for just $50/year to remove all ads and enjoy other perks. Follow us on Twitter for more cephy goodness.

O. bimaculoides babies; one month old today!

01/26/09 The three remaining babies show quite different resting postures. No. 1 is usually uniformly dark, and likes to rest in a corner in an elongated posture with her front 4 arms forwards, and the rest straight back, whereas no. 4 is most often gray and likes to sit on the side of the tank with her arm gently curled around her (just like her Mum used to!). No. 2 often shows an unusual colour/pattern combination that I have never seen from the others. To me it looks a bit “cuttle-ish” for want of a better term. It is very cute to see them each have quite a distinct persona.

Attachments

• conv_293801.jpg
    conv_293801.jpg
    279.4 KB · Views: 66
Impressive report lene. Dont be discouraged, I hope you can succeed with those bimac babies.

Just as open question for the forum, may be time for starting with small crabs instead of shrimps?
perhaps Xhanthidae, those that occurs frequently on Acros and SPS and that nobody wants there. Other possibility would be small Mytrax, Porcellanid.. perhaps Coral commensals like Tetralia or Trapezial species etc... To get them, here we have some LFS that "shower" the live rock and corals over a net to get them out, and do nothing with them.

On the other hand, last week I got a couple of Calcinus Spp from my LFS really tiny, just about 2 mm... I dont know if could be another food option? Nut has never been interested in hermits, but I've readed that small octos would be.

I'm completely new with briareus but seems 2me that crabs produce a higher hunt response than shrimps. Just brainstorming, hope someone more experienced may point the right direction.

Good luck! cheers

sedna

Larger Pacific Striped Octopus
Staff member
It must be disheartening when you see the loss, but you are doing such an incredible job! Thank you so much for sharing your success and loss with us, that is the only way we can all learn!:notworth:

Disaster.
The elastic band securing the mesh lid on no. 2's tank must have snapped in the night (I found the broken band on the substrate). Although the net was still resting in place, there is no sign of the baby. I have searched and searched the water-conditioning tank, but even if she has not already been sucked into one of the filters there is just no chance of seeing her amongst all that equipment, and the thick bed of oyster shell.
I have moved the remaining two babies into the top tank, where they should be easier to spot should they escape, replaced all the elastic bands for new, and will figure out a better lid, but too late for no. 2.
I feel so stupid that I didn't think of this possibility. And terrible, because this is the first one I've lost through stupidity. Damn damn damn.
Totally heart-breaking.

Octavarium

Wonderpus
Registered
Hang in there, the 2 may make it since you made it this far. Thanks for the pics and info, it must be really exciting!

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
Unfortunately, saltwater seems to eat rubber bands over time so the breakage is likely due to the salt exposure.

Keep an eye on the sump as my little merc (Wiley) kept escaping his net and lived for 5 months on his own, assumed dead often. I finally quit feeding much to the tank after not seeing him for several months and he eventually came to the front to be caught and place in a more suitable environment (and lived for a total of 13 months - old for a merc).

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wohlerswill

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan
TONMOCON VII (2018): ekocak