O. Abdopus (Barada)

Just a picture I took:

Attachments

• conv_297553.jpg
    conv_297553.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 98
This species can do some marvelous things with their arms. We rarely see this in an aquarium but

Here Barada is still touching the substrate (glass) with one arm but comes close so keep the camera very handy.

Great journal. Mine Come Tuesday!!! So excited he is going to replace my last Bimac Octopus Prime lol. I will have a clever name for my new Abdopus as well.

Where did yours come from?

dwhatley: That's very cool indeed. Fortunately (or unfortunately being that the quality isn't terrific) I am using my phone as my camera for videos and stills so I almost always have it in my pocket though there have definitely been a few times so far that I lost myself in watching and playing with him I totally forgot to take a picture or record him doing something cool, hehe.

:thumbsup: My theory is that the curious ones are by far the most fun and the most likely to be consumed in nature so I think of it as a win-win situation

Very cool did he ever get the crab in the jar? Love how he has kinda a cheeta camo going on. How big was he when you got him? Mantel and Arms.

Haha, good theory- I think I'll stick with that as well.
Actually that one video is of him consuming a crab in the jar, though he hasn't yet gone in there without it being tilted on its side yet. I'm not quite sure of the size and I'm terrible with such things, I can say that he was probably just a bit smaller than he is now as one of his arms was damaged in shipping and it appears much better now so I'm assuming a bit of growth.

Barada died last night, in most part due to the storm here in nova (I think). THe power was out all day and night, though over that course of time the temperature only dropped to ~70F before the power came back on, good thing I keep my house scorching hot. Everything else in the tank seems to have recovered just fine, but I found him hiding in the corner when I got home last night and the temperature at that point had only dropped a few degrees. I didn't see him moving then but I assumed he was still alive, though this morning I finally moved the rock under which he was hiding and he was definitely dead. I also found a few fiddlers hiding so apparently he hadn't been eating much the past few days as well so perhaps he was already at the end of his ropes and just couldn't handle the stress. Anyway, RIP Barada.

One of the reasons I don't order this species is that they seem to be caught at the end of their lives. The one time I did decide to keep one I ended up with a species of Macropus. He lived 7 months, died of old age and was very social - at 3:00 AM. I have had two of this unknown species and both were wonderfully interactive but fully nocturnal. Fortunately for the interaction, I was not working (unfortunate for the pocketbook) and could arrange my schedule around their play times but most people don't have this option.

Oddly he seemed pretty active during the day (or at least when the lights were on) after a little while. He was definitely a fun little guy, but yeah I really want to try a briareus again, hopefully I can find one.

Sorry for the confusion, A. aculeatus is diurnal. The little Macropus is another species that is only occassionally shipped by Live Aquaria under the Indonesian Octopus listing (notice that they do not give a species). I mentioned it only because it was not a full adult when received vs the A. aculeatus that often only has a few months before senescence.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back